Fresh Install XP (Advice Needed)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smalltrader35, May 12, 2009.

1. I am looking for some advice from the tech guys here if possible. I formatted the hard drive with the intentions of doing a clean install of XP. I got through the format okay now windows is installing devices and seems to be stuck at this point without any movement for past 2 hours. Setup will complete in approximately 34 minutes is where it is currently at. The installing devices was moving along nicely up to this point and its be here at the 34 mins for over 2hrs now. Same happened last night when it got to 34mins. Can anybody tell me whats happening and provide a solution?

Thank you

2. How old is your XP disc? (original, SP1, SP2?) If it's a very early build, it might have trouble identifying your more recent hardware.

3. Do you have another copy of WinXP to try? Do you have another hard disk to try?

4. I've often experienced just this sort of thing, even with current hardware. Here is how I handle this sort of situation.

First, remove every scrap of hardware from the setup that you possibly can. For example, instead of both graphics cards I use, I installed just one. Just a single drive, etc. Then run through the install, do all the windows updates, then start adding more hardware in.

I seem to recall having to attempt an XP 3 or 4 times before it "took".

5. I bought the pc from Dell about 2 years ago. The cd's came with the pc so 2yrs old. I recently done a fresh install on another pc using the same age disc's without any problems. Any idea what's causing this? Thx for you previous responce by the way. Very Prompt.

6. You can also try Windows 7. It will work for free for 1 year.

7. Oh yes.... you should disconnect ALL hardware except one video card, one hard drive, one optic drive, mouse, keyboard.... and try again. No need to do a slow format again.

8. I've often experienced just this sort of thing, even with current hardware. Here is how I handle this sort of situation.

First, remove every scrap of hardware from the setup that you possibly can. For example, instead of both graphics cards I use, I installed just one. Just a single drive, etc. Then run through the install, do all the windows updates, then start adding more hardware in.

I seem to recall having to attempt an XP 3 or 4 times before it "took".

I have tried install now 3 times and it always stalls at the same point. Cant say I am much of a tech guy so what should I do now in your opinion? Should I cancel this install and try again? I have tried to install using 2 seperate disc's and the install halts at 34mins.

Thank you

9. When it keeps stopping at the same point, it usually means it's having trouble reading something. And as you've tried 2 OS disks, I'd try a different hard drive next.

If that doesn't work, then it probably means it's having trouble communicating with some aspect of your hardware... that would be tougher to troubleshoot.

10. This is worth a try.
    Have had issues (hang, freeze) when installing xp pro on older HP laptops for example.

In that case it was BIOS conflicts. In the BIOS menu, even changing USB Legacy / USB 2.0 support on/off and you are off and running.

#10     May 12, 2009