French Gratitude

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Babak, Apr 2, 2003.

1. skeptic123

skeptic123 Guest

In all fairness to the French according to public opinion polls now as the war started only about 1/3 of them wishes victory to Iraq. Given their 20% muslim population - it is not that bad.

It is much worse in Russia where probably 80% of the population are cheering for the Iraqis, anti-american hysteria is worse then during the cold war and thousands wanted to volunteer and fight on the Iraqi side.

#11     Apr 2, 2003

2. Any anti-American hysteria that characterises the American nation, or the American people as evil, fascist, war hawkish etc is obviously completely off base.

A legitimate quarrel with US foreign policy is perfectly fine.

Decrying a nation for the actions of a few, as Babak has, is childish and divisive.

#12     Apr 2, 2003
  3. definitely. this operation has been a complete diplomatic disaster.

it's only common sense that an obnoxious bully will generate resentment and support for the bullied, and arrogantly dismissing the world as irrelevant will have long-term ramifications beyond this war.

but the question is: if those in power are too dense to see this, or worse, do see it but do not care, what does that mean regarding the wisdom of their other policies? and if the latter, what possible purpose could they hope to achieve by doing this?

#13     Apr 2, 2003
  4. skeptic123

skeptic123 Guest

Could not agree with you more. I quess the next logical step for you is to stop your own anti-american hysteria and join the civilized world in decrying the actions of french barbarians.

#14     Apr 2, 2003
  5. Don't give too much credit to Babak. The French did the lion's share of the work.

PS: Alfonso, "Cuba Libre" is way passe. We are in the 21st century.

#15     Apr 2, 2003
  6. ElCubano

ElCubano

Im afraid they do see it (might be to late)....Nothing is perfect, specially in a WAR. They may have thought differently going into this. Just like they thought IRAQI's would welcome them with open arms and IRAQI soldiers would surrender immediately....They didn't take into consideration that some of the IRAQIs could care less if Saddam is dust, they are just protecting their own country from invasion ( this they most certainly didn't plan for )

#16     Apr 2, 2003
  7. msfe

msfe

the safest way to avoid hitting a single Frenchman - planeloads of American and Japanese tourists will find out what the French invention of la douche is good for.

http://www.verrelefutur.com/deluxe.htm

#17     Apr 2, 2003
  8. [​IMG]

Let's nuke those French bastids, we got the link we need now...

#18     Apr 2, 2003
  9. the French have made themselves nothing more than a nuisance, they just haven't realized it yet. They can say whatever they want.

#19     Apr 2, 2003
  10. Why hate someone because of their nationality? If the French don't want to support the war, don't blame them 100%. A majority of the world doesn't support this war. Does that mean this war is unjust? No -- it just means that the United States government didn't do a very good job marketing the war to the rest of the world.

The stereotyping gets old. I'm an American, but I'm also my own person first. There are French citizens because they live in France, but living in a region doesn't mean you have to act and think in a specific way.

Perhaps some mistakes were made on our end, but in the end, I think we'll help the world out by damaging our own reputation.

#20     Apr 2, 2003