Freezing up- Computer problem...Any advice ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TIKITRADER, Jun 16, 2011.

1. bonchi07

bonchi07

I did not feel ripped off at all. Price is relative to the service you get and I have to tell you that I got great service, which is something that we hardly ever get anymore. I guess price is relative to what is important to each individual.

#51     Jun 28, 2011
  2. Anyone can justifying overpaying any way that makes them feel better.

There are lots of folks on ET with hardware knowledge who might have helped you save a few $hundred or so if you'd asked. But to say tradingcomputers.com has "competitive prices" is just wrong. Other noobs likely will read that and overpay as well... and you will have done them a disservice with your enthusiasm to cheer for your own poorly informed decision. I piped in with "not competitive"... not to needle you but to perhaps save others who might read this thread.

Computers and components are mostly commodities... one little different from the next within their appropriate ranges, of course, so there is no benefit in overpaying.

#52     Jun 28, 2011
  3. bonchi07

bonchi07

Everybody is entitled to an opinion and I think the forums were created to share experiences. I dont think that sharing my experience is a disservice to the community......I am just sharing what worked for me. That is all!!! Like everything else in life, you cant stop people from communicating. I am not pointing a gun to anybodys head and forcing them to do something they dont want to. I assume everybody in this forum is mature enough to have their own opinion and make their own decisions.

#53     Jun 28, 2011
  4. Who said anything about "gone to one's head, forcing them to buy from tradingcomputers.com"?

All I said is that you paid more than you should/could have... and other noobs should know... "unless you don't care about overpaying for your computer, you should probably avoid tradingcomputers.com". This is nothing new. We've all known about their pricing for years.

#54     Jun 28, 2011
  5. bonchi07

bonchi07

Ok, so I see what the misunderstanding is. I never said tradingcomputers. I said www.tradingcomputersnow.com. I am aware of tradingcomputers. I just wanted to make it clear. If after the clarification, you still think I overpaid, that is ok. I really appreciate your input but I do have to tell you I am happy.

#55     Jun 28, 2011
  6. I want to say thank you for continued feedback. I am still working this out and have not given up. My knowledge is ok as far as I can put together my own computers but when it comes to testing each area for faults there are a lot of folks who could teach me a lot.

So I am still listening to everyone's suggestions and look forward to learning something here and maybe get this resolved.

#56     Jun 28, 2011
  7. bonchi07

bonchi07

Glad to hear that. We are all here to learn something from each other. I will be picking your brain soon enough....

#57     Jun 28, 2011

8. I had checked that base model for $1449. Should have been about $1000. That's not as big a hose as they used to do. We've seen tradingcomputers.com at double or 2 1/2 times the cost at other places.

Oh... tradingcomputersNOW.com is still overpriced at $1449, but less so than tradingcomputers.com. (The names are so similar, can imagine a law suit in there somewhere.)

As a rule of thumb... consider everything but the CPU and RAM in a workstation class machine to be about $600.

At Dell outlet, you can often get a high-class rig for a few hundred LESS than the cost of parts. Specifically... they're recently had 6, T3500s with W3690 CPU (the #1 performance CPU currently.. Passmark) for $1169-$1219. That CPU goes for $1085 alone at Newegg. Figure $1085 for CPU, $100 for RAM, $600 for the rest... that's about $1800 in "parts"... for $1200-ish.)

And from someone like ibuypower.com, you can build a fast rig for about $1100.

If you can get a T3500 for $550-$850-ish, it might be a bargain. When the price gets to about $1100-$1200, then you should evaluate more carefully the cost/benefit and consider alternative makers.

Dell Outlet has had some FABULOUS deals for $600-ish and less over the years. Some of their deals for $1200 are terrific too.

#58     Jun 28, 2011
  9. That part of the problem with BIY. We PRESUME all the parts we order will snap together like Lego and run without a hitch... not always the case. But if you buy from one of the workstation makers, they've tested up the wazoo to avoid problems. After all they expect to sell 100,000 of basically the same unit, and they don't want to be servicing them for faults. Then if you can get such a machine at a discount, it's win-win for the buyer.

#59     Jun 28, 2011
  10. orionn

orionn

per my previous post, have you replaced your power supply (PSU) ?

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3221867#post3221867

#60     Jun 28, 2011