Freezing up- Computer problem...Any advice ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TIKITRADER, Jun 16, 2011.

1. I really was not sure the best way to run this test. I started with this approach and then was going to run memtest86.
    Thanks for the info regarding built in memory tester I was not aware of it in W7 .

#31     Jun 21, 2011
  2. Thanks limau2,

I did run antiv and there were no problems. I use MyDefrag often for the defrag and it has worked well for years. This hard drive is newer but that does not rule out it could be the drive.
    I re-installed W7 OS recent and it did not clear up the problm and also I have posted the temps here which appear to be normal and should not be causing anything to freeze.
    The ps was changed but it has been some time now and it is older. It is something to consider.

#32     Jun 21, 2011
  3. Here is the MB with everything removed.
    Video cards had been removed and cleaned including cleaning the vid card fans .

Memory removed and vacuumed all slots for dust cleaning.

Removed cpu fan and thermal paste to apply new paste.

Motherboard battery removed and being replaced.

[​IMG]

#33     Jun 21, 2011
  4. Decided to go with new sticks of memory. I have purchased 8 gb patriot ddr2 800 dual ch. 6400- 2 gb each.

Also new mb battery and thermal paste.

[​IMG]

#34     Jun 21, 2011
  5. Cleaned the video cars really well after removing them.
    Vacuumed them and cleaned with qtips and alcohol.

Also vacuumed the case really well and cleaned all fans and used a qtip with alcohol to remove all hard to get dust from the MB and all fans.
    While the case was opened I decided to give a very thorough cleaning.

[​IMG]

#35     Jun 21, 2011
  6. AC3

AC3

I hope you have a good result ... I know whenever my machine gets close to acting up its a tense and uneasy feeling.

#36     Jun 21, 2011
  7. Here is the new MB battery installed with new memory and cpu stock fan clean with new thermal paste, everything getting installed back on MB.

[​IMG]

#37     Jun 21, 2011
  8. Everything assembled and video cards installed again. MBoard finished and case is completed. Going to run this for the day as is then I will update nvidia drivers after seeing how his runs for hours.

[​IMG]

#38     Jun 21, 2011

9. Thanks, yes not a great feeling. I am going step by step and it does not rule out anything until I can get the machine to run flawless.
    In the end it could even be a motherboard failure. If that is the problem I can replace the Asus p5n e sli with something comparable that I can still pick up on the internet somewhere.
    I am still looking to build a new machine this year at some point just not sure when.

#39     Jun 21, 2011
  10. So far running for hours very well.
    Installed the latest Nvidia drivers without a problem.

All six monitors are connected and working... also
    I have opened 4 instances of Multicharts with multiple workspaces, each workspace having anywhere from 3 to 10 charts.
    Also IB build 918.6 is open with an additional 12 charts open.

Running firefox also.

CPU is hanging around 6 to 10 % now and idles down even more.
    Will keep everything open , running, and will open another instance of MC with multiple charts. Looking to push the machine and force something to happen. So far running the way it should very smooth.

I will leave this go for days. If it is to freeze it will happen soon.

#40     Jun 21, 2011