Freezing up- Computer problem...Any advice ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TIKITRADER, Jun 16, 2011.

1. JackR

JackR

Tiki:

If you are running four 2 Gig RAM sticks you could try removing two of the sticks. Win will boot but not run super-well and you can see if things still freeze. If not, change to the other two sticks. That may show up a RAM problem. Some MBs will allow you to run with the memory sticks in any old slot, others require specific combinations. So depending on the MB, if the problem is not the memory stick, but a memory slot, you might not identify the problem if it happens to be a slot that you use only when four sticks are loaded.

Jack

#21     Jun 18, 2011
  2. Look in event viewer.

#22     Jun 19, 2011
  3. AC3

AC3

Good advice

#23     Jun 19, 2011
  4. PSU is about to die. Get a new one. You can start with a cheap 40$ one and then if that solves your problem upgrade to 200$ for better reliabiltiy and sell the old one on ebay.

#24     Jun 20, 2011

5. rolmao ..... Need this to break up boredom of figuring out this problem.

I have the computer apart and giving a good cleaning anyway.
    Was surprised to see so much dust in the cpu fan, I didnt notice looking into the case.
    Although temps were not a problem I removed the fan and cleaning out good then wil clean old thermal paste and apply new paste.
    Continuing to go step by step until this is resolved.
    I really do appreciate all the solid feedback everyone is contributing

#25     Jun 20, 2011
  6. I did give all the caps a good check on the mb
    and video cards everything looks
    good. I will post few pics later.

#26     Jun 20, 2011
  7. i see this as testing 2 gb only not as a cumlative test of idividual modules, idk. you know that W7 has a built in memory testing app with varying levels of detail in the administration tools section of the control panel?

#27     Jun 20, 2011
  8. montysky

montysky

so how did the memory tests go? any errors?
    any chance you added a video card to the system lately or you've been running on 3 the past few yrs?

#28     Jun 20, 2011
  9. limau2

limau2

sorry to hear that.... frozen computer may have several cause.
    other possible problems may comes from

1) virus ...run anti v.
    2) registry problem...use www.piriform.com/ccleaner
    3) defrag your hard disk ---any defrag tools will do or use defrag @ www.piriform.com
    3) hard disk problem --- go to start, run, type cmd...at the prompt just type chkdsk c: /r /f ..... answer Y....the restart...make sure the power is always on during checking disk ...
    4) if it persist after all this, then its time to go to the pc shop.
    5) ooohhh....650w may not enough to drive your 6 monitors as aging set in.

#29     Jun 20, 2011
  10. No errors. Ran the tests for 12 hours nonstop and nothing surfaced.

Video cards are original except for the 8400 which was installed within the first year of the build and has been running fine.

#30     Jun 21, 2011