freezing computer and matrox

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jayford, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Hi,

I have an interesting problem. Ever since I installed my Matrox 450, I have had problems with my computer freezing up (about once per day). Never had the problem before. Matrox won't help me with this as I have an IBM OEM card that I put in my Dell 4400. I run XP also.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jay

2. TGregg

TGregg

How do you know it's OEM? There has been some discussion of those particlular cards, and apparently I may be running one.

If I am running one, I suggest you use the drivers that came with XP, mine works fine.

3. Ken_DTU

Ken_DTU

i think the g400 is more stable than the 450... I had problems with the 450, but no problems with a lot of 400's I've used..

the new parhelia is excellent too, tho a bit pricey

4. BS KEN.. YOU ARE FOS.. I HAVE FOUR (READ ME *FOUR*) G450's CRANKIN EIGHT MONITORS W/O A SINGLE GLITCH. QUIT DISEMINATING CRAP. :mad:

YOU ALSO SAID AMD CHIPS WERE CRAP TOO.. YOU ARE CLUELESS.

(BTW I USE AMD CHIPS! )

5. Ken_DTU

Ken_DTU

I have never said anything about AMD chips. And I'm referring the the G450 AGP cards. Of which you could not run 4 in one motherboard. You seem to not understand.

6. ron2368

ron2368

Try the newest drivers, make sure you uninstall the old one first.

Matrox has a help forum on their site, they usually reply within a couple of hours.

Also check device manager to verify your video card install.

When xp installs its drivers for the 450 I had hanging on boot up but the Matrox driver works fine.

7. fan27

fan27

I have a Radeon 9000 and I am experiencing the same problem:
    About every other day my machine freezes. Could it be an application program that is causing the problem?

8. A friend of mine had the same problem with a G450 he bought off ebay. It was an IBM OEM version.

OEM cards like IBM and Hewlett Packard OEM cards (the serial # indicates to Matrox whether they're Matrox or an OEM version) use the Matrox video chips but not necessarily the Matrox video bios or the vanilla Matrox drivers. Supposedly alot of the Matrox cards for sale on ebay are OEM versions like the one my friend bought - so be careful.

If you've got an IBM or other OEM G450, you have to get the latest video BIOS update (if applicable) and device drivers from that OEM - using the Matrox drivers can cause indeterminant problems due to differences in the OEM's implementation.

If you're using a Matrox (non-OEM) G450, you won't have a problem using the latest Matrox drivers. It's the OEM cards that seem to be the ones having most the problems.

If you've got an IBM OEM G450, check the IBM website for their latest drivers. There's an update for the G450 flash BIOS as well as drivers - check here:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/dlsear...&cc=us&q=G450&dc=D430&submit.x=27&submit.y=17

9. The Radeon 9000 problem might be something similar, don't know. There are about a dozen manufacturers of OEM boards using the Radeon 9000 chips.

The distinction (as with the Matrox issue) is "built" by ATI (which are boards built by ATI themselves) or just "powered" by ATI (which are the OEM products).

Best thing would be to call the manufacturer and/or check out their technical support website (that's how I found out about the Matrox OEM board issue).

The ATI website is http://www.ati.com and you can identify the source of your board - if you've got an OEM board, you might get lucky and find the latest drivers and bios available on the ATI website - looks like they've got some of them.

Unlikely a normal app would hang your entire computer. Usually takes hardware, a device driver, or other system software to do that. So the most logical place to start looking is probably the graphics card/bios/driver combination.

Good luck

10. fan27

fan27

I just went to the ATI website and installed the latest Driver for the Radeon 9000 series. Hopefully this will work.

Thanks

#10     Jun 27, 2003