freethought is winning:Religion may become extinct in nine nations, study says.

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Free Thinker, Mar 22, 2011.

1. I win.

#11     Mar 22, 2011
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

:confused: Does your self delusion know no bounds?

#12     Mar 22, 2011
  3. irony

i·ro·ny1    /ˈaɪrəni, ˈaɪər-/ Show Spelled
    [ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-] Show IPA

–noun, plural -nies.
    1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.
    2. Literature .
    a. a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.
    b. (especially in contemporary writing) a manner of organizing a work so as to give full expression to contradictory or complementary impulses, attitudes, etc., especially as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.

Example:

#13     Mar 22, 2011
  4. kick away. he will get no defense from me. he turned out to be a republican. he sealed the deal when he went as far as being a warmonger republican.

#14     Mar 22, 2011
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

A delusion, in everyday language, is a fixed belief that is either false, fanciful, or derived from deception.

#15     Mar 22, 2011
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

So you supported/voted for a republican. :D How does that make you feel? That's kinda like being invited to a football party at Hooters and after arriving realizing it was a ruse to get you into church.

#16     Mar 22, 2011
  7. Ricter

Ricter

So which religion will take their place, secular humanism or rationalism?

#17     Mar 22, 2011
  8. I watched an episode of Endgame yesterday. Shawn Doyle's character, Alkady Balagan, a Russian chess grandmaster, noted in passing that people create conspiracy theories for the same reason they create God: to give a grand meaning to their small problems.

It's just a show, but that line gave me pause and made me smile. The ring of truth will do that, eh?

#18     Mar 25, 2011