"Freedom of speech must be curtailed to keep society free" -- A. Merkel

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Scataphagos, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

I see Alex is taking cues from click bait RT videos. In any case, at least RT has the decency to add the context to the speech:

German Chancellor Angela Merkel commented on the freedom of speech in Germany, denouncing "propagation of hate" and saying that such freedom has "limits," speaking at the German Parliament in Berlin on Wednesday. Merkel also expressed concerns for "frictions" in society. Referring to the rise of the far-right she condemned the murder of CDU colleague Walter Luebcke in Halle in June, who was shot and stabbed at his home. Saying that "the people's dignity is untouchable. And this means freedom of speech," Merkel added that it "is not without limits. And these [limits] start where there is stirring up, where there is the propagation of hate, these [limits] start where the dignity of other people is hurt and we have to and will stand up against this in this house." The German chancellor also stated that freedom of speech is not "for free."

[​IMG]

Guess what, other democracies regulating hate speech is nothing new. I don't agree with it, but the US is the exception, not the rule.

2. UsualName

UsualName

Alex Jones was deposed last week and in his last statement he said Epstein didn’t kill himself.

Just to put things in perspective about Jones and infowars.

3. easymon1

easymon1

4. Freedom of speech is quite ambiguous, because many people can manipulate people with their speech. And many people can't write a quality speech at all so that people can hear it.

5. I support your opinion that freedom of speech is an ambiguous issue and can be interpreted differently. I hope that Angela Merkel has only good intentions to express such an opinion and carry out some reforms. I was not interested in this issue before, but once we considered this topic in college. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to prepare for the topic on my own, so I used https://writingbros.com/essay-examples/free-speech/ to do a good job. After submitting the work, I reread the work done again and I want to say that now I am more familiar with the topic.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  6. very cool, it's always fun to listen to