Freedom of Religion gets the axe

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Covertibility, May 30, 2005.

1. Forming a belief, holding and practicing that belief when it is concerning God, is considered a religion by the courts.

Atheists form, hold, and practice a belief in non God.

Atheism has been granted the exact same protections as any other religious belief system.

"The 'establishment of religion' clause of the First Amendment means at least this: neither a state nor the Federal Government can set up a church. Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion over another. Neither can force nor influence a person to go to or remain away from church against his will or force him to profess a belief or disbelief in any religion." U.S. Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black, majority opinion; Everson v. Board of Education 330 U.S. 1 (1947)

"No person can be punished for entertaining or professing religious beliefs or disbeliefs, for church attendance or nonattendance." U.S. Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black, majority opinion; Everson v. Board of Education 330 U.S. 1 (1947)

#11     May 30, 2005
  2. This is truly shocking. I thought freedom of religion would be one of the last freedoms to go. I guess the government feels they've safely and completely dismantled the Second, Fourth, and Sixth Amendments- time to trash numero Uno.

In 2000, would any of you have guessed we'd see such a news headline in just 5 years time? What the hell kind of news headlines will we be seeing in 2010 at this rate?

<b><i>"Roe V. Wade overturned by supreme court"

"Man sentenced to year in prison for refusing to provide DNA to compulsory national DNA database (AKA The Freedom & Protection Project)"

"DEA agents to begin random sweeps of inner-city homes in efforts to combat narcotics trafficking"</i> </b>

It doesn't seem like science-fiction anymore, does it?

#12     May 30, 2005
  3. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

america.

land of the free.

well guys - you voted for bush - so now you will take the consequences. yea - he really does want the best for america doesnt he.

#13     May 31, 2005
  4. Hi ratboy,

Interesting thought. But is gekko a satanist?

If I recall, GG always profiled himself as an atheist, albeit of the more ignorant kind.

A satanist implies belief in God. You can't believe in satan if you don't believe in God. Atheists don't believe in satan.

Be good,
    nononsense

PS: could very well be GG doesn't know the difference. :D

#14     May 31, 2005
  5. Practice?

#15     May 31, 2005
  6. no.......wicca is the "religion" at risk in the first post that gets GG all bent out of shape.

#16     May 31, 2005
  7. Each and every time the atheist reads, hears, or thinks of the word God, they practice their atheism.

#17     May 31, 2005
  8. Turok

Turok

I'll bet GG holds no candle for wicca and I'm quite certain that it is the inconsistent application of a principle that is got GG bent out of shape here. There are few better examples of the blindness involved than you're inability to recognize that very thing.

JB

#18     May 31, 2005
  9. Grammar police time....

#19     May 31, 2005
  10. are you guys idiots...THAT IS MY DAMN POINT.

#20     May 31, 2005