Free Oracle 10g Lite

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by nkhoi, Jan 5, 2006.

1. nkhoi

nkhoi

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/xe/index.html

Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE) is an entry-level, small-footprint (150MB) database based on the Oracle Database 10g Release 2 code base that's free to develop, deploy, and distribute; fast to download; and simple to administer. Oracle Database XE is a great starter database for:

Developers working on PHP, Java, .NET, and Open Source applications
    DBAs who need a free, starter database for training and deployment
    Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) and hardware vendors who want a starter database to distribute free of charge
    Educational institutions and students who need a free database for their curriculum

2. can you list the difference between that & the new mysql?

3. nkhoi

nkhoi

4. thanks

would you use it?

i'm very used to writing mysql php code that i couldnt imaging switching. with huge list of new features added for mysql 5.0, it makes this decision even harder. plus mysql package is only 40megs.

5. I have used the free MS SQL Server MSDE version on a few large company programming projects and found it easy to work with but a little bit of a challenge to install...

Now MS is coming out with the new free lite version of SQL Server called Express which is supposed to be easier to install and distribute and has 85% of the features of the mothership...

Would be nice if there was a comparison page of the Oracle Lite versus the Sql Server Lite...

If the new version of mySQL has Store Procedures, DTS objects and triggers included then that would seem to be a good deal...

cj...

:)

If You Have The Vision We Have The Code

6. Acta

Acta

Mysql is not an ACID-compliant database. In layman terms, it's not a real database.

For example, let's say you want to count your money. Most databases have a function called COUNT which will return the exact number of what is being counted. What does mysql does? It only returns "an" estimate, and it varies with each time that you "count" it, even if the real number of the underlaying quantity has not changed.

Don't believe me? Go look up the official mysql documentation about the function COUNT.

Take home message: don't use mysql for anything other than web-blogs (i.e. things for which you don't mind losing data here and there).

7. nitro

nitro

8. nitro

nitro

YW.

Bah, I am still in the experimental stage with this stuff. I am learnging both MySQL and MSSQL Server 2005.

nitro

9. #10     Jan 9, 2006