Free Movies going mainstream. Film business is decaying in front of our eyes.

Discussion in 'Music, Movies and TV' started by wilburbear, Oct 30, 2011.

1. That would make sense.

If the piracy of big budget productions dissuades the studios from actually continuing to front A-list actors 25million per picture to do a re-make of some schlocky 1970s sitcom adaptation, then I see it as a positive development.

Just for the hell of it, try to pay attention to how many movies released in the past 5 years were either re-makes of earlier films or were just film adaptations of a tv show from a generation earlier.

#31     Oct 31, 2011
  2. Yes for sure.

Wikipedia states Breaking Bad costs 3 million an episode.

16 episodes a season that's say 50 million USD a season.

Is it easy for such a cost to make a profit? No idea really.

#32     Oct 31, 2011
  3. Everyone lives free and shares?

#33     Oct 31, 2011
  4. Hippyism is the next political philosophy

#34     Oct 31, 2011
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

2. Maybe we should be checking into "The Mexican" with Antonio Banderas... didn't that have a cost of only about $7,000?

That was the prequel to Desperado, called El Mariachi made by Robert Rodriguez. It had a 7K budget and made about 2 million.

Pretty good return.

Rodriguez wrote a book about his experiences and how to make a low budget book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebel_Without_a_Crew

The biggest trick with the Blair Witch Project was the internet hype and awareness built on the net for free. Lots of people actually thought that it was a true story and the movie is a documentary....

#35     Oct 31, 2011
  6. they should have nipped it in the bud and shut down all the used record shops. I bought a very good used Ahmad Jamal album at a garage sale for a dollar.

Once it's out there and somebody has watched it, it is used, and if Herman Cain is president, tax free.

#36     Oct 31, 2011
  7. What's so stupid is there is stuff people would be willing to pay for, but isn't available.

For example, I would gladly pay retail for each season of the T.V. show Benson - seasons 2-7(?) Yes, I have season one that I bought though Amazon or whatever. For some reason, these companies seem to think they need to make a big production out of the thing and spend a ton of money taping interviews, making booklets, etc. I would be happy with just the DVDs or even just PC Video files with each episode and that's it. I'm sure there are 1000s others like me as well. And it's not like Benson is very easy to find on T.V. right now (its completely impossible as far I can tell!) so it seems like no one must be making any money with it right now.

Also, there are many CDs of groups that people in the U.S. might like but they are only available in Europe or Japan, and if in the U.S. have to be bought as "Imports". Almost everyone has some favorite group or band with a tough to find album. Why is it tough? These days they should be able to basically stamp them out as they are ordered.

JJacksET4

#37     Oct 31, 2011
  8. As far as music goes, you can get free music without using file sharing sites. There are free websites out there that allow you to convert music from Youtube into an MP3 file. With that MP3 file, you can burn it on to a CD or transfer it to an Ipod. Youtube has tons of music from all over the world.

#38     Nov 1, 2011
  9. no kidding. I use to buy hundereds of cds and listen to them one time just to hear what they sound like. Now I spend all day on Saturday on Youtube listening to one tune after another. And the stuff I listen to is hard to find.

#39     Nov 1, 2011
  10. I don't understand why in the world people still buy music.

#40     Nov 1, 2011