Free Movies going mainstream. Film business is decaying in front of our eyes.

Discussion in 'Music, Movies and TV' started by wilburbear, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Stab in the dark (I'll probably get it completely wrong)...Rocky?

Of course, many of my favorite films are from the 1970's. In fact just watched The Graduate again the other night. Mike Nichols did some great work back in those days.

#22     Oct 31, 2011
  2. Correctamundo... "Rocky Horror Picture Show"...

When it was current, you could get in free to the midnight showing at the Ogden Theater if you showed up in costume of one of the characters. Seems most knew every line. Patrons would shoot squirt guns into the air during Brad and Janet's rain scenes... would get up and dance in the aisles to "The Time Warp".. I took a prudish (Catholic school) friend to a midnight showing... he was amusingly astonished!!

#23     Oct 31, 2011
  3. ol this is garbage. you cant be free AND legal when it comes to movies, tv et all.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

True, many thought the music industry would crumble and music would be free due to the same business model. So, if you really want to see where the Movie Industry is headed, go study the music industry since 2000.

I know first hand as I was one of the first Techno Artist/Label to sign with Itunes and countless other digital stores world wide while napster, torrent, Lime wire were spreading music for free.

The industry was shaken up and Majors were in trouble and still are. However, the new business model opened up the flood gate for independent artist to flourish. Of course revenue drop'd hard at first for all artist and labels. Piracy was on the rise and music was flowing for free also.

Flash Forward to today. Artist are selling in huge numbers on Itunes now. Price points have been adjusted and found a equilibrium. As a digital label, even with the "Piracy" issue, I have a consistent profit every month. Now, Iphones are carrying tons of apps to allow the consumer to purchase music on the fly. When I play a show....hoards of people pull out their IPhones to use SOUND HOUND to find out what track I am playing and can buy it right then and there.

Studies show that 99cents to 1.50 is a great price for tracks. Millions buy tracks on Itunes every day. There is streaming music as well, which is now going through a pricing model war. But, never the less, money is being made.

So, while there is slippage, in any business....digital music is making money and I would say 95% of consumers, if not more buy music.

The film industry, which I also deal with during production of a movie score....will probably go through some changes that are revolutionary but in the end, there will still be money made and it will not be "FREE" movies for everyone.

#24     Oct 31, 2011
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

Actually the movie with the best return was that horror film when college kids were running through the woods with a handheld camera. Made people want to puke not because of the horror, but because of the jerky movements...

Oh yes, the Blair Witch Project it was....

"Budget

A list of production budget figures have circulated over the years, appearing as low as $20,000. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Sánchez revealed that when principal photography first wrapped, approximately $20,000 to $25,000 had been spent.[14] Other figures list a final budget ranging between $500,000 and $750,000.[15]"

The Blair Witch Project grossed $248,639,099 worldwide

#25     Oct 31, 2011
  5. Hmmmm... hard to imagine ANY production going for $25K total. Could be, however, that at one time Rocky held that honor. If Blair Witch Project actually cost as little as you say, could be the leader...

Hard to imagine "costs" being kept to $25K unless the actors worked for free and the filming was done on a Super8.

#26     Oct 31, 2011
  6. Pekelo is probably right. I'd have to assume you never saw it, and really it was a completely forgettable film. Essentially filmed on a handheld camera and could have doubled as a stitched together high school film project. Not to say that the idea was terrible, they did have a decent premise and the realism that a handheld camera can provide always has potential.

Speaking of Blair Witch, I've concluded that Paranormal Activity took that idea and ran with it. Similar concept, similar low budget "family film" type of concept which uses the same tricks to scare the audience. Very low budget but high returns and it has a decent sized following.

#27     Oct 31, 2011
  7. All the quality these days is on TV... Not in movies.

Walking Dead, Breaking Bad,...

They get global airplay and global DVD sales as well...

Although they do get downloaded a lot too really.

#28     Oct 31, 2011
  8. 1. Maybe the category should be "Highest gross revenue vs. production cost for films costing at least $1Million"? (Rocky's gross is about 112X production costs. Blair Witch came 25 years after Rocky.. could be Blair supplanted Rocky in this regard.... hard to compare a "home video" to a full production project, however.)

2. Maybe we should be checking into "The Mexican" with Antonio Banderas... didn't that have a cost of only about $7,000?

#29     Oct 31, 2011
  9. Hell yes. Breaking Bad is the best show I've probably ever watched. The writing is tremendous.

I've had this debate with quite a few people that the best talent has gravitated more towards the multiple season television series. I suppose that's it a better medium since a 5-6-10 year series can develop the characters and really spotlight the multiple plot twists that these talented writers can put together.

A movie probably frustrates too many writers who get sick of all the studio nonsense about casting or which scenes to cut, etc, etc...

#30     Oct 31, 2011