Free copy of Acronis Backup Software

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by GTS, Oct 10, 2006.

1. GTS

GTS

Yep, looks like you have to upgrade to the True Image Server versions to get dynamic disk support.

#11     Oct 10, 2006
  2. gnome

gnome

Sorry, out of my league. I never dealt with dynamic disks....

#12     Oct 10, 2006
  3. hey Steve, Harold and gts

Okay... Harold, you said you went ahead and switched your discs to basic in WIN XP? So there's no particular problem with doing that, I guess, in terms of system performance?

Steve, imaging to the same partition and then cutting and pasting is also an interesting idea. I assume that this somehow works around the dynamic disc problem.

#13     Oct 10, 2006
  4. BCE

BCE

Exclusive Computeractive Download Offer -TEMPORARILY WITHDRAWN

Due to widespread exposure of this free Computeractive download within public forums outside of the Computeractive readership, unfortunately we had been forced to temporarily withdraw this promotion due to a) the overwhelming demand placed on our server and b) that this is a closed download for Computeractive readers only.

#14     Oct 10, 2006
  5. Yep. And anyhow, v 7.0 doesn't support dynamic discs; I did a Google search to find out how to change my WIN XP dynamic discs to basic and the procedure involves backing up all the data on the volume in question then deleting it. Unfortunately the 'delete volume' option is greyed out when I open disc management, so it is going to take me a while to figure out how to run TrueImage v 7.0 with WIN XP.

Of course, the thought has gone through my head...'just pay the $30, upgrade and then you will be saved an hour of goofing around and posting to techguy.org and waiting for an answer'.

I bill out at a hell of a lot more than $30/hour :)

#15     Oct 10, 2006
  6. hcour

hcour Guest

Nik,

Are you signed in as administrator in your system? That might be the problem w/deleting the vol. Or maybe it's because it's the drive Win XP is booting/running from, so of course it wouldn't/couldn't delete itself.

H

#16     Oct 11, 2006
  7. Aha. Errr, yes, that would be it. It's definitely the drive WIN XP is booting from. How I am supposed to access disc management (a Windows thing) without booting up from the volume that houses XP is beyond me for the moment, but Harold, don't bother spending 1/2 an hour typing up a response, I'll try to get the answer at techguy.org or something like that. I am signed in as admin.

I know how to enter setup mode, maybe the answer is to do it from setup...

#17     Oct 11, 2006
  8. GTS

GTS

AFAIK, there is no performance difference between basic disks and dynamic disks (all else being equal)

Dynamic disks are a prerequisite for using some of the more advanced disk volume features, if you are not using these features then there is no advantage to having dynamic disks over basic disks
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...ddocs/en-us/dm_dynamic_overview.mspx?mfr=true

Also see this: How To Convert to Basic and Dynamic Disks in Windows XP Professional
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309044/

#18     Oct 11, 2006
  9. Also, you do NOT need to change your HDD to a dynamic drive to run version 8 of Acronis.

I just checked mine to make sure and all my HDDs that I use Acronis on are ALL basic drives.

Seriously, I know free rocks :D but consider buying the current version.

#19     Oct 11, 2006
  10. GTS

GTS

Huh? The issue was that the non-server version of Acronis don't support dynamic disks, not that it doesn't support basic disks - I think you have it backwards.

#20     Oct 11, 2006