Free book from IB

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by brokershopping, Jul 29, 2003.

1. def

def Sponsor

you can't trade on margin in an IRA. Thus you can not use the cash from a closing position until it settles. These are regulatory rules not IB's.

#11     Jul 30, 2003
  2. qazmax

qazmax

I didn't get a book, but I must say that is pretty cool of IB.

I never got sh*t from my broker, except retarded explanations from ignorant customer service reps; who couldn't explain the difference between OTC and listed stocks.

Is the book any good...??
    Ever get anything else....??

I got a lame yoga-meditation-bowl once... my dog doesn't even like to eat out it. Maybe I can use it as an ashtray... but I don't smoke?

:)

#12     Jul 30, 2003
  3. Tea

Tea

Got my copy. Its a scholarly tome. I spent an hour racking my brain reading the chapter on bid/ask spreads.

Had to laugh when I opened the dust cover and saw this blurb from CNBC's Maria Bartiromo:

"Trading and Exchanges demystifies the complex world of trading. It is a must for anyone interested in investing in the public markets."

As though Maria even cracked the cover of the book. OK, maybe she looked at some of the pictures.

Its a pleasant surprise from IB.

#13     Jul 30, 2003
  4. gms

gms

I'm playing with the box it came in. :p

#14     Jul 30, 2003
  5. (Moderator)

.... I posted replies to this forum... but can't find them.

Or, are there two different threads on this topic.

Thanks.

Ice
    :cool:

#15     Jul 30, 2003
  6. I got the book from IB about a week after another broker sent me a leather folio with notebook and pen. Wow, two gifts from brokers in one month! . . . But I like the book best.

#16     Jul 31, 2003
  7. damir00

damir00 Guest

gosh, i'm feeling left out! :)

wonder how many monthly roundtrips it takes to qualify for the "freebie"? i'm thinking my ~50 wouldn't even cover the cost of the book/shipping.

#17     Aug 1, 2003
  8. Any way to request it from IB if we didn't get it in the first place? From the AMZN page, it looks like an interesting tome.

#18     Aug 1, 2003
  9. gaj

gaj

just got mine today...

and i'm close to the town it was sent from (in northern nj).

patience, patience! i'll be reading it tomorrow..

#19     Aug 2, 2003
  10. alanm

alanm

I, too, thought it was a nice gesture, representing the best of IB's culture.

It would have been easy to send out one of the common $30 best-sellers but, instead, they picked a title that probably isn't already on even a serious trader's shelf, and appears to go way beyond the usual superficial crap that so many books on trading are filled with.

#20     Aug 8, 2003