Free automated trading platform, for IB

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by frostengine, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Ursa,

I see there is a LOT of interest in an open source project. However, their are coding methods, and some unique ways I have handled things that I do not want released that are present in the core of the platform. There are also "some" new ways doing things in respect to trading that I have in the core of the system, that more than likely wont even be accessible to normal users..... sort of like some tools put in there soley for my own use. I am opening up my platform to be used by others, but not my origional ideas that are at the core of some of the componets.

With that being said.... using scripting engines that can exstend nearly every part of the trading platform, in a sense it is an open source project..... only the hard coded source is hidden... but everything that makes this thing work, will be exstendable from the script engine... that means order handling, all indicators, all things such as how stops and profit targets are handled...... trading techniques... they will all be accessed from scripts, so that by changing these scripts you are changing everything that is important to how the platform works.... even most of the platforms interface will be changeable.... Much like how mozilla firefox is mostly written using javascript.....

These features will be there for the community to expand and build on this sytem.. although i expect only a FEW will use them.. most will use the point and click interfaces and simplfied scripting commands to generate their strategies... and that will be as technical as they will go....

I guess what i'm tryign to say is NO the project is not going to be completly open source, but YES it will have MOST of the benefits of an opensource project......

#21     Aug 22, 2006
  2. Odd does bring up a point - can you REALLY trust any "hidden" code from an individual or group, in your trading application?

Could someone easily put something in there that sends your info to the Ukraine? Hell yes.

And if one individual has "control" of the code, like frost, are there horrendous legal liabilities to him? You bet. I'm not a lawyer, but I know that you can be sued for darn near anything...

Sure the code in TWS, or cyber, or TS, etc is not opensourced, but those companies are assuming legal liabilities for nefarious actions their coders may take.

Unfortunately, in our litigious society such a project may be risky. When it comes to money, you can trust no one. :(

Good trading to all.

#23     Aug 22, 2006
  3. Wayne,

Is the code in say medved quote tracker open source? No, its hidden.... what about the free charting program I was using the other day IB charts... that source code is not open either... and countless others... Bracket trader..... nope not open either.

Yes you can REALLY trust code that is hidden, if you want to know if i'm sending your information to the Ukraine, simply sniff the packets... you'll see every packet this application sends. There are TONS of ways to find if a program is legitimate without seeing its source code.

You do bring up a good point about the legal liabilities however. Maybe it would be risky for me to develope such a program, because then someone may try to blame me for them loosing all of their money, whether it be because my charts are off, or they implement their automated strategy wrong.. or who knows what... Although, I think disclaimers and license agreements can protect me from those things, I am no lawyer and do not know how well that woudl hold up. Maybe I should not go down the road of allowing my platform to be used by others.

#24     Aug 22, 2006
  4. Assuming I do continue with this project, does anyone know the cheapest place to get historical TICK data on futures? I already have 1 minute historical data, but looking to get a good bit of tick by tick data....

Any sugestions?

#25     Aug 22, 2006
  5. Very useful feature.
    I look very forward to your tool. :)

#26     Aug 22, 2006
  6. frostengine, it would be great if the bar/candlestick can be customised (eg 10-sec bar, 10-tick bar, 10-volume bar)?

Note: 10-tick and 10-volume bar is different since the former one refers to 10 transactions, while the latter refers to 10 contracts or shares traded.

#27     Aug 22, 2006
  7. Trader_Henry,

yes in fact it will support many different bar types. At the moment it currently supports, Tick, and range bars, and time based bars, volume is next on the list.

#28     Aug 22, 2006
  8. Yes, I'm aware that a computer savvy person can easily enough determine if a certain app is doing stuff in the background.

You can run packet sniffers or watch router logs, but it's difficult to say what the background of your intended users will be.

And the fact that, even with IB's, for example, signed agreement that they will not be held liable for technology or ISP failures while using TWS, people constantly come onto ET and angrily declare they are going to sue Interactive for their losses.

I know you are trying to do something to help other traders, but will it be worth the headaches?

Good luck to all. :cool:

#29     Aug 22, 2006
  9. My 2 cents:
    Unless you have used your own automated trading software for lomg time with high degree of reliability, and then you offer it for free.

Otherwise letting others to test your software for any potential bugs using other people's money may be not a very good idea, particularly for high frequency trading style.

Just a thought.

#30     Aug 22, 2006