Free automated trading platform, for IB

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by frostengine, Aug 21, 2006.

1. rickty

rickty

frostengine,

I'm interested, sign me up.

I also would like to have backtesting and automation linked. The idea being that any code that I write for backtesting gets to be used unchanged for auto-trading.

Also, e-mini application suits me just fine.

Richard

#11     Aug 22, 2006
  2. Perhaps Free/ Open source with a BSD license would be the way to go. :)

#12     Aug 22, 2006
  3. frostengine
    Iam not technically as savvy as you are.
    I would not mind an automated system to trade emini say 1 YM contract mechanically based only one indicator "CCI" say on
    2 day range chart with
    each YM bar 10 points under Medved system using IB.
    stoploss & profit taking strictly based on CCI reversing or hooking from extreme.
    possible? I dont mind being a guineapig.
    You have to hand hold me how to install/make it work.compensation if workable ok.
    currently use only chart trader/button trader.have not figured out api yet.
    I trade thro Medved QT for OXPS not IB.Ib thro TWS only now.

#13     Aug 22, 2006
  4. oddtrader,

I had a similar question in a PM this morning about making the source code open source, this is what I wrote in response

"No the source code will not be open source, primarily because there are a lot of my "proprietary" pieces in their as this is my trading platform for personal use. I have no problems letting people use this platform and providing a scripting engine to gain access to a LOT of the inner workings... Just do not want to provide the source for it."

I plan to allow through the scripting engine access to just about ANYTHING someone would want to access....

krishiyer,

I do not fully understand the method you wish to implement, but I do believe this could suite your needs.

I notice your reference to not minding being a guinea pig, which brings up a good point. One good thing about IB is the simulated account, which for testing an automated system like this it is EXTREMLY valuable. Allows you to see in real time how well yoru system is performing without the risk of any monetary loss.

#14     Aug 22, 2006
  5. I believe I have decided how I will do the scripting language to provide MAX power and make the code somewhat "open". I will use beanShell, which is basically a scripting language for java. So that means trading scripts will be written in java, however it will be VERY dumbed down and very easy to use, after I add all the functions.. so you can call like 3 lines of code to automate a strategy such as moving average cross overs....... i feel that will be really easy even for non programmers.. very intuitive.... not only that, but this script language will be able to acess nearly ALL of the internal classes that make the platform run, so you could rewrite sections if you didnt like how something is handled.....

Also this makes it easy to do the indicators in this method.... I will provide several of the indicators written using the scripting language instead of hard coded in, so they can be modified or create new custom indicators very easily..... Basically the whole program will be able to be modified through the scripting language.. but to make a running automated system you dont have to use ANY Of those features.....

Thoughts?

#15     Aug 22, 2006
  6. Why not consider Jython rather than Beanshell and get access to a lot of Python open source stuff ? Runs on the JVM, access to Java classes etc.

#16     Aug 22, 2006
  7. Whatever any software idea if useful and viable , however the slow development progress is limited by a single programmer s resources, would have a reliable open source project available either sooner or later that is only a matter of time.

You may not have enough time or interest to maintain the software for too long once getting very rich. :)

#17     Aug 22, 2006
  8. JCraig,

Jython is deffinetly a possibility as well...... may support multipe scripting languages, so end user can determine what sort of syntax they are more comfortable with.

OddTrader,

One of the reasons of making the scripting language so powerful, is so that the whole project can infact be expanded, and continued in development.... only the very very core aspects will not be accessable. It will never be opensource, but I feel enough things can be changed/added through the scripting system that the project could grow in entirely different directions without me changing anything...

#18     Aug 22, 2006
  9. Frost, I admire your guts to start a project like this which will be very big an complicated.
    From a business-plan point of view you'll might have to look at the position your project will take amongst the alternatives. Who are the target audience and why would they go for your solution instead of the existing ones. Or, IOW, why re-invent the wheel, as someone put it.

As I see this thread developing, ppl using complex powerful languages are already supplied and are unlikely to change. The audience that is still somewhat unlocked are those currently looking at maybe Amibroker, using QT for charting and some trading front-end, like Buttontrader or Ninja.. Several mentioned the paintbar tool in QT and I would predict that if Medved Jerry decided to implement not only paintbar alerts, but also an autotrade trigger along with that, many will be groping for it as the final solution to their problems. This would make your project, however ambitious and fun, a bit obsolete.

The one thing that isn't there and with which you would fill a gap is a true open-source solution, built on a portable engine so it runs on other platforms as well. If you could reformulate your role as programmer to that of open-project developer, you'll be amazed at the help you'll get and the quality of the knowledge available. This then would become a thing with a true future for which some would be willing to pay with something more valuable then money, their time.

I don't exactly understand you 'proprietary' argument. These are not trading related, am I right? If they are coding-related I would find it curious if you'd have thought of coding-solutions that are not already out in the open. But maybe you have.

Anyway, I whish you the best with you project, but please take a closer look at it's selling points.

Ursa..

#20     Aug 22, 2006