Fred Thompson 'help discover the truth in Watergate'

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jamjob_ramjet, Dec 3, 2007.

1. according to a radio ad I just heard

actually, it's true

problem is, he was defense council for a guilty client

.....oops! In that role, 'discovering the truth' is a very fancy way of saying 'I threw an interception' or 'I helped the Colts beat the Bears in the 2007 Superbowl', when you actually played for the Bears

""Baker has appointed Fred Thompson as minority counsel," Haldeman is heard saying on one tape.

"Oh sh--, that kid," Nixon responds.

"I guess so," Haldeman replies.

Nixon worried that Thompson's Democratic counterpart, Sam Dash, would outsmart Thompson.

"Well, Dash is too smart for that kid," Nixon says on another tape from March 16, 1973. The existence of the tapes were publicly revealed by a question from Thompson at a Watergate hearing and led to the president's resignation. They are preserved at the National Archives in College Park, Md.

"Sure. Runs circles around him," agrees an aide, John Dean.

THE BLOTTER RECOMMENDS
    Good Morning America Video The Fred Thompson Files
    Blotter Fred Thompson Ends Fund That Paid $178,000 to Son
    Click Here for Full Blotter Coverage.
    As the investigation picked up speed, Nixon grew increasingly concerned about whether Thompson could stand up to the Democrats.

In this May 1973 recording, he shared his concern with then-chief of staff Alexander Haig.

"He's talking to Fred Thompson. I said you're not --," Haig begins.

"Oh sh--, he's dumb as hell. Fred Thompson," Nixon interjects. "Who is he? He won't say anything."

In another conversation some weeks later, Nixon and his advisers were still describing Thompson as not very smart but at least beginning to play ball.

"Our approach is now, we've got a pretty good rapport with Fred Thompson. He came through fine for us this morning," White House counsel Fred Buzhardt says on a tape from June 6.

"He isn't very smart, is he?" Nixon asks.

"Not extremely so, but --," Buzhardt says, interrupted by the president.

"But he's friendly," Nixon says.

"

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2007/10/nixon-on-thomps.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ps0iJL8q8I&feature=related