Freak this market

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Aaron Copland, May 9, 2008.

1. no stops is NEVER a good trading style imo, but we've had THAT debate before.

if you can't develop positive expectancy setups that incorporate a stop, then you really don't know what you are doing and are just martindale'ing whether you realize it or not. adding on losing trade and selling as you make profit. that works fine... until it doesn't

managing risk is the single most important thing in trading

#11     May 9, 2008
  2. Cheese

Cheese

The KISS principle can be engaged. The markets go up and down, the upmoves and the downmoves. If you want something quite a bit faster than ES and YM, master your trading craft in CL. Your methodology, however, needs to capture, sequentially, the upmoves and downmoves of the price gyrations in whatever the market you want to play. Then you can get back on track by accessing the shitloads of points on offer each day.
    :)

#12     May 9, 2008
  3. Why make things complicated. Just sit and wait for your favorite trading environment to surface. So yes I will sit on my hands until then.

If you think about it. We are now in the least favorable season for long side trading. Plus we have an election, I’m certain the election is causing this directionless market.

What has the range been today in the futures since the cash market opened. 5 points. I can remember when we sat in 3 point ranges during the summer of 2005. Its just not worth the time. When ADX is under 20 there is not a lot going on.

#13     May 9, 2008
  4. I forgot to ask you what are you trading thats so great.

#14     May 9, 2008
  5. aaron, on in intraday basis, my main vehicle is the YM

i trade stocks (and invest in them for the longterm - 20yrs +), but for intraday trades it's mostly YM, and some sector ETF's

#15     May 9, 2008
  6. "If you think about it. We are now in the least favorable season for long side trading. Plus we have an election, I’m certain the election is causing this directionless market."

#1 it's not "directionless". that sounds like a frustrated 'trend' type trader who doesn't know how to trade a means reversion market.

#2 who said anything about long side? i've traded long and short (mostly short) last few days. trade the highe xpectancy setups. who cares which direction?

" What has the range been today in the futures since the cash market opened. 5 points. I can remember when we sat in 3 point ranges during the summer of 2005. Its just not worth the time. When ADX is under 20 there is not a lot going on."

if you have a narrow methodology that only captures setups during "trending" markets, then what you say is true. of course most days in the market are not "trending" in that sense, nor does it make any difference. there are great profits to be made

#16     May 9, 2008
  7. Nice range in YM in the last 90 minutes

#17     May 9, 2008
  8. nitro

nitro

LMAO

nitro :D

#18     May 9, 2008
  9. heywally

heywally

Works for me when I'm coming from 100% cash and buy little snippets here and there (up to a very small percentage of capital).

#19     May 9, 2008
  10. "Works for me when I'm coming from 100% cash and buy little snippets here and there (up to a very small percentage of capital)."

it can and will. especialyl if you are relatively intelligent about your entries. im not saying you can't scale in and scale out

i am saying that "no stops" is a loser setup in the longterm. for trading.

#20     May 9, 2008