franchise dilemma.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by saxon22, Feb 23, 2008.

1. I do not know. Are there???? if there are I am all ears man, share the wealth. :D

#31     Mar 23, 2008
  2. Buy a presale in Downtown Vancouver, keep buying and flipping for the next 10 years.. There's a business, if you have 200k - buy 4 presales, put like 4 downpayments on them @50k each.

And try to flip them before completion.. If you need help, i can point you to the right direction.

#32     Mar 23, 2008
  3. I've averaged close to 100% per year in the stock market since 2002 when I got in. This past year was only 30%, but still, it seems to me your chances of making anything at all are not great, and your chances of losing it are high if the economy turns sour.

My money is in the market or in cash/treasurys at the broker. If things change a month from now, I'm not stuck owning a shop in a mall.

#33     Mar 23, 2008
  4. I think your brother would be better off buying a FedEx route. They will work him like a dog but he will make 70k net working 60 hours 5 days a week on a good route. He will be a corporation and will have tax advantages. He can buy a route for 70k to 90k. That’s a lot better then a 300k investment working 7 days a week at the mall. Both jobs are hard jobs though.

#34     Mar 23, 2008
  5. Arnie

Arnie

What a great thread. Nice change of pace for ET.

I have often thought that the franchise route is nothing but a marketing ploy. After all, if you had a good idea for a business, why would you let others in on it? Look at the package stores (UPS, Mail Boxes, etc...) those things are everywhere now. In the local paper there is always one for sale. I don't know anything about the pretzel business, but really, how hard could it be to research this on your own and maybe come up with something better? Maybe something along the lines of Cinabun and Starbucks?

If I was going to open something like this I wouldn't want to be locked into one product either.

PS. Any of you remember when 40yotrader was doing his research and said his back up plan was some sort of franchise? I bet he's glad he didn't have to go that route. :D

#35     Mar 23, 2008
  6. if I could get that kind of return trading i would be elated, but I cannot.

#36     Mar 23, 2008

7. He looked into it and there are many routes for sale in NYC. For as little as 30K down, one can get into one. Route Brokers seems to be the one with the widest offers on the market.

#37     Mar 23, 2008
  8. Q12

Q12

If that's true you might just be the top trader on ET. A 100k investment in 2002 would now be worth $6.4 million. Nice work!

#38     Mar 23, 2008
  9. If you want drop me a PM and we can talk. I have done some consulting for many restaurants in the past. BWLD, PZZA, Qdoba and the list goes on.

If you need help, I will do what I can.

#39     Mar 23, 2008
  10. Hey, they could get messenger routes and make the same (so long as he wants to deal with the crazy New York traffic). :D

#40     Mar 23, 2008