franchise dilemma.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by saxon22, Feb 23, 2008.

1. ammo

ammo

have a relative who just opened up 2 bd mongolian bbqs in malls,he has deep pockets and 30 pizza huts so he has been in biz a while, thinks this will take off

#21     Mar 23, 2008

2. Well, my brother did and the place was jumping. From 11 o'clock in the morning, the line formed and stayed constant till around 6 PM. There are 2 locations in the same mall and they were both busy (must be the smell of the pretzels). The problem is that the company has an open slot for another kiosk in Staten Island which is entirely different county/borough. So while the biz. seems to be jumping in this mall, who knows what is going to happen in the other location. BTW a kiosk from them is around 100 to 120K, which is not so bad and certainly it is less than 350K for a full scale establishment.

#22     Mar 23, 2008
  3. You are right. However, even those who just window shop must eat.

#23     Mar 23, 2008
  4. Judging from his performance. Pizza Hut sounds like a winner. Too bad in NYC the competition from guys who really know pizza is so intense.

#24     Mar 23, 2008
  5. LOL, this isn't how you do correct data analysis.

You'd have to audit the books of those two organizations to determine what their true profitability is ... otherwise you'd just guesstimating.

Tell you what ... any money you put into this or any other enterprise is going to have to be viewed as money that you've put into trading ... you can't risk what you can't afford to lose ... period.

Good Luck.

#25     Mar 23, 2008
  6. Sometimes paying the bills takes precedence over doing what you love. I for example would love to be an academic librarian, but the pay would not be enough to survive much less enjoy life in NYC. And to boot it is not easy to get a gig like this. Seems plenty of folks with two MAs or even PHD are chasing after jobs like that.

#26     Mar 23, 2008
  7. ammo

ammo

the pizza huts are in mostly iowa, and the bd's are in chi and wisc

#27     Mar 23, 2008

8. Before we venture any further,my brother wanted to see if there is traffic and if the place is selling. Both questions came up resounding yes and yes.

#28     Mar 23, 2008

9. Case in point. It seems to me that opening any kind of business outside of NYC is so much easier and a lot less expensive. Unfortunately, for me it is either NY or bust. :)

#29     Mar 23, 2008
  10. I'va always wanted to have something like that. I worked at a Hot Dog & Pretzels place in the mall when I was a kid.

That said, I don't think I'd put my capital into that with the economy going into a downturn.

Aren't there better places to make $300k of investment?

#30     Mar 23, 2008