franchise dilemma.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by saxon22, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Austin,I see your point. The franchise fees are steep and making pretzels is not exactly rocket science. However, if one has never done it and never have had a business of this sort, the helping hand would be welcomed. The question is: Is the helping hand worth the $$$ they want up front and then in monthly %? Thanx for your 2c. Much appreciated

#11     Mar 23, 2008

2. I was not aware of this! How can they charge me rent and on top of that a % of my profits? I was under the impression that rent is it. Sounds unreasonable. BTW, if one has his own business venture in a mall let's say a Pizzeria, how will the mall calculate my profits? They do not know how much a business is brining in. I could tell them its $500 when i reality it is $1500.

#12     Mar 23, 2008
  3. #13     Mar 23, 2008
  4. ammo

ammo

i ve been remodeling homes for almost 20 yrs and nov to feb is always slow but its never been this slow, this mortgage,credit card, job mess that the country is in is not a good time to start a small biz,people are not spending,you may have to ride several months of break even or loss before mrkt and biz pick up, check with you local courthouse and see how many biz permits applied for or renewed in last 6 mo-a yr

#14     Mar 23, 2008

5. I hear you loud and clear. Looks like you have been around the block when it comes to these types of establishments. Now since class "C" type is a long term slavery and class "A" is the way to make decent $$$$ and have a life of sort, which one would you propose? Which franchises are woth the cost and are financially rewarding enough to dive into?

#15     Mar 23, 2008

6. You are right, the big R is here and people are slow to spend. Having said that, even those who are on the financial edge have to eat when they go shopping. Last time I went to the mall, there were plenty of folks walking around and the food stalls were as busy as ever.

#16     Mar 23, 2008
  7. Sax,

Did you count the pretzel customers? This would be a good idea at different times and days to calculate potential. Also, I sure would like to know stats on number of customers using the mall, weekly mothly, seasonally. You could come up with numbers of sales based on mall traffic. You need to come up with a futures number.

#17     Mar 23, 2008
  8. BTW guys , sorry for taking so long with answers. ALL of your replays are valuable and have been read an analyzed by both of us. Please,do not be offended by the time lapse since my last posts. Having two kids (2and 3.5) is super time consuming.
    Thanks to all for the input and.... keep them coming.

#18     Mar 23, 2008
  9. "Last time I went to the mall, there were plenty of folks walking around"

Don't mean to be a bug but count the people walking around with bags in their hands.

#19     Mar 23, 2008
  10. i'm glad you didn't go for the $100k washout of a deal, the payout sucked ass and it put an inordinate amount of risk on you with additional performance requirements.

now the trick is for you to do what you love and put your heart and soul into that one ... no one can tell you what that is (except i hope it isn't mcdonalds). :p

let us know when you figure it out.

#20     Mar 23, 2008