Fox Biz Channel buzz is back

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by JayS, Feb 8, 2007.

1. bighog

bighog Guest

Erin is a total ZERO. That girl shops at GOODWILL STORES.

Was she canned from Bloomberg? I would not doubt it.

#11     Feb 8, 2007
  2. Fox Will Launch Business Channel This Fall

By JEREMY W. PETERS
    THE NEW YORK TIMES
    Published: February 9, 2007

Rupert Murdoch and Fox News are adding Wall Street to their news portfolio.

After many months of speculation about whether he would or wouldn’t, Mr. Murdoch said today that his News Corporation would begin airing a cable business news channel as early as October.

To be called the Fox Business Channel, the new network will be developed and run by Roger Ailes, chief executive of Fox News. His two top deputies will be Kevin Magee, a Fox News executive vice president who will oversee the day-to-day operations; and Neil Cavuto, the unapologetically partisan Republican who anchors Fox’s weekday business show. Mr. Cavuto will oversee content for the new channel.

News Corporation said it already has a subscriber base of 30 million because it has reached distribution agreements with multiple cable operators in large markets like New York. Time Warner, Comcast and DirecTV have all agreed to carry the new network, News Corporation said in a statement.

For several years, Fox News executives, and Mr. Murdoch himself, have made it no secret that they were studying the possibility of creating a rival to CNBC. As recently as this week, Mr. Murdoch tipped his hand and said during a conference call to discuss his company’s financial results that an announcement on the channel was imminent.

Though financial television news is a potentially lucrative business because of its typically affluent audience, there is risk to such a project. CNN had a financial news channel, CNNfn, but the network folded in 2004 after failing to attract enough viewers.

Fox Business Channel will also have a formidable competitor in CNBC, whose ratings are on the rise and whose supremacy in television business news has been long established. Mr. Ailes of Fox, in fact, helped establish CNBC’s dominance before leaving the network in 1996.

#12     Feb 8, 2007
  3. Fox may have a chance if they have these...

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

#13     Feb 8, 2007
  4. dinoman

dinoman

I will agree they are mainly a clown network.

I would say that Rick on the floor is the most informative.Art Cashin is good too. Fast money has its good points too. Other than that I agree with you.

#14     Feb 9, 2007
  5. Fox Business News: The Anti-CNBC?
    Posted on Feb 11th, 2007

Barry Ritholtz submits: Rupert Murdoch spoke at the McGraw-Hill Media Summit Thursday, announcing that the Fox News Channel will have a Fox cable business channel competing with CNBC on the air by the fall.

This part of the story was especially made for the WTF? file:

"At a media conference in New York yesterday, Mr. Murdoch said the Fox Business Channel would be “more business friendly than CNBC,” which he said was quick to “leap on every scandal,” according to a report on his remarks by BusinessWeek.com, whose parent, McGraw-Hill, sponsored the conference.

In a separate interview, Mr. Ailes elaborated. “Many times I’ve seen things on CNBC where they are not as friendly to corporations and profits as they should be.”

He added: “We don’t get up every morning thinking business is bad.”

Talk about shooting the messenger: It's not the media that falsified option records, engaged in fraudulent accounting, had corrupt research, stole from investors, or any other of a long laundry list of corrupt, illegal and shareholder-hostile actions. They just reported it.

The biggest complaint about CNBC, especially during the late 1990s, was the tendency to get caught up in the positive momentum and cheerlead a bit.

What about the scandal-ridden companies that so dominated the headlines at specific periods of time? Back to Ailes:

"Asked whether that meant that Fox would go easy on its reporting of the type of corporate scandals like Enron and WorldCom that cost individual investors millions of dollars when those companies collapsed, Mr. Ailes replied: “We will be as ruthless in our coverage of business scandals as we have always been.” He said that while thousands of companies have publicly traded securities, “only 9 or 10 are in trouble” at a given time."

The question I am curious about: Will this be a journalistic enterprise, with real investigations into significant issues, or will this merely be a stylistic exercise? Will content be an afterthought, as they attempt to be the anti-CNBC?

The most interesting aspect of this competition - at least from a media business perspective - will be the demographics of FBC. Neither the NYT or the WSJ mentioned this. While Fox has long outpaced CNN in total viewers, they have never really captured the more desirable demos; Fox does not charge nearly as much as CNN does for advertising time. Some sources have quoted ad rates at CNN 3X those of Fox (this is unverified).

A major advertising exec I know has said that "Fox viewers are more Chevy buyers than BMWs." Hence, lower ad rates for Fox than CNN. That same demo may dog FBC versus CNBC.

The business channel could be seen as an attempt to go upmarket. CNBC's viewership is high net worth, extremely coveted by advertisers. Will Fox be able to improve their demos and capture advertisers like Lexus and Mercedes? The answer may very likely depend on how similar or different Fox Business Channel will be to Fox News. I wonder if it will be a real business channel - I picture it as Bloomberg with attitude.

Or, will FBC be like the Fox Saturday Business block, essentially politics wearing a business suit and tie?

There is a lot more to this demographic tale, and I suspect it will make for some great theater over the next 12 months . . .

~~~

Also of note: Traders will be glad to know that long missing Alexis Glick will be director of business news for Fox Business Channel, and I assume, an on-air personality. She was a favorite of many trading desks. Neil Cavuto - a former CNBC anchor and now longtime face of Fox (and a genuinely nice guy) - will anchor and oversee content.

~~~

My disclosure: I've been a guest on numerous shows on both channels, but since becoming a pretty regular guest on Kudlow & Co., I have not done a Fox show in a while . . .

Sources:
    Fox to Begin a ‘More Business Friendly’ News Channel
    EDWARD WYATT
    NYT, February 9, 2007
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/09/business/media/09fox.html

News Corp. Builds Toward Business TV
    JULIA ANGWIN
    WSJ, February 9, 2007; Page B2
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117095430728902415.html

Murdoch ready for CNBC fight, 'Borat' sequel
    Paul R. La Monica
    CNNMoney.com, February 8 2007: 6:24 PM EST
    http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/08/news/newsmakers/murdoch/

http://media.seekingalpha.com/article/26663

"... Also of note: Traders will be glad to know that long missing Alexis Glick will be director of business news for Fox Business Channel, and I assume, an on-air personality. She was a favorite of many trading desks. Neil Cavuto - a former CNBC anchor and now longtime face of Fox (and a genuinely nice guy) - will anchor and oversee content."

#15     Feb 11, 2007
  6. Quark

Quark

"There's money to be made here! Let's do that financial news thing we've been talking about for awhile!"

Looks to me like a contrary indicator for a significant top.

#16     Feb 12, 2007
  7. Ron Insana is the only person on CNBC I have ever had a modicum of respect for.

#17     Feb 12, 2007
  8. How do you know it's not going to be a short oriented channel - the real anti-CNBC? :D

#18     Feb 12, 2007
  9. Quark

Quark

Ha! Well, if it is, no one would be more surprised than me! In a bull market, people want to hear "news" and "reasons" that support their prediction. I don't think there's much of a demand (yet) for gloom and doom.

#19     Feb 12, 2007
  10. Wow, that Alexis Glick sure has made it.

Sounded like she knew her stuff, but when she was reporting she would sometimes say something screamingly funny (unintentional) by using the wrong tense, verb, or otherwise malaprop screwup. Her rough tough "not Ivy League" background shown through.

She was cute to look at, tho...Until she got preg and huge...

#20     Feb 12, 2007