fox admits it has a right wing bias

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Sep 26, 2011.

1. rc8222

rc8222

MSNBC has a farrrrrrrrr left bias, but in typical ignorant fashion, the leftist network execs will never say so, or try toning down their rhetoric. This is why conservatives will always be more respected, valued higher, and worth more to America than libertards.

#21     Sep 27, 2011
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

Can you tell me what Fox news has lied about? It is my understanding that in 16 years, not one case has successfully been brought to court against them. Not a single one. I'm open to hearing about one you know of specifically.

#22     Sep 27, 2011
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

MSNBC and CNN hide behind this same veil as well. I still don't understand how that makes "FOX" different.

#23     Sep 27, 2011
  4. Very true. MSNBC is a left as they come. However, to my knowledge MSNBC never went to court and argued for the right to misinform the public. Fox News did.

What we need is honesty in journalism. That is the only way we will ever have an informed electorate (and stop electing abject failures like Obama). I still have trouble believing that it is perfectly legal for any news organization to lie to the public but let's give credit where credit is due...Fox News took it to court and got the precedent, not MSNBC.

#24     Sep 27, 2011
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

As long as cable news is classified as "entertainment", that is not going to happen.

#25     Sep 27, 2011
  6. I am unaware of any court cases where an executive for CNN or MSNBC fought against their respective companies in the manner which I referenced. Having said that, you are correct in the sense that CNN and MSNBC are now able to hide behind that wall of bs, as it were. However, it was Fox News who blazed that trail.

Personally, I take any media outlet (alternative or otherwise) with a grain of salt. Everyone has a bias and everyone has an agenda. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous. Although I do not advocate for government control of anything, because that usually turns out badly, I do feel that there should be some regulation stopping any media organization from lying to the public...a very gullible and trusting public.

#26     Sep 27, 2011
  7. Probably right. Which begs the question...why is it referred to as news?

#27     Sep 27, 2011
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Yes but there is a very gray line between hard news and political commentary. Most of the people who bash FOX or MSNBC are not actually bashing the hard news divisions, but rather the political pundits. Both networks have talking heads that blur news with opinions and their really is nothing you can do to stop that.

The best you can do is watch ALL the networks and get a little bit of everything. That is why i never understood why people hate FOX so much. Without FOX, there is no system of checks and balances on the other side.

#28     Sep 27, 2011
  9. I totally agree with you. I need to hear every extreme to get past EVERYONE's bias and slant. In that regard you are right, Fox News is useful.

As for the blurring of the lines between punditry and fact based reporting, not sure there's an easy answer to that one. I almost threw up in my mouth when I suggested creating a law to regulate it.

#29     Sep 27, 2011
  10. Maverick74

Maverick74

It was called news because when Ted Turner started CNN back in the 80's and cable took off, Turner was actually challenging the status quo of the evening network news programs. He could it because he had no competition. Once cable expanded and NBC got in the game, it became competitive. Once FOX news started in 1995, each network could no longer just report the news, they had to be unique, they had to stand out. As the channel box grew from 50 channels to 500, the competition for eyeballs became intense. The media companies learned that what was actually profitable was not reporting boring news stories, but more entertainment/tabloid style news.

There has been a major transformation in the media business as these media business were losing money hand over fist. In my mind the only credible news program still around and one I have watched almost every week for 25 years is "60 minutes".

#30     Sep 27, 2011