four monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trader59, Apr 24, 2006.

1. You will have to disable onboard video in drivers, they can't work together simultaneous, onboard video sucks!

#11     Apr 29, 2006
  2. How many screens can you have on one computer?, and does it matter on what kind of comp you have?

- nate

#12     Apr 29, 2006
  3. i think windows xp pro support upto 8 at a time... but you should check on that.

so

you can have:
    1 PCI E dual output
    3 PCI dual output

or
    1 AGP dual output
    3 PCI dual output

or
    2 PCI E dual output
    2 PCI dual output

i have
    1 PCI E dual output
    1 PCI dual output

#13     Apr 29, 2006
  4. Actually, I think it's not just a matter of the operating system but the technology you use. I know there are companies out there that have external boxes which allow you to have just one video card installed with a VGA signal out. They take that signal and split it up to 3 times so you have one giant wide screen 3 montiors wide (1280 x 1024 original size = 1280 x 3 wide by 1024 high). XP doesn't even see this as it's an external box which does the converting for you... I wish I could remember the name of the company that makes it... it was recent that I saw the demonstration at my local computer shop in Vancouver, Canada.

#14     Apr 30, 2006
  5. gnome

gnome

Matrox... TripleHead2Go

#15     Apr 30, 2006
  6. Surdo

Surdo

I am looking to plug a third monitor into my Dell Dimen. 8200 Desktop.

I have a Dell Factory installed NVIDIA GeForce4 Dual Card with two monitors running currently.

I have a Matrox G450 card from an old machine lying around.
    .......not sure if this is compatible or recommended?

What is the easiest/most economical way to add a third screen to my dual set up?

(I must admit I am semi-clueless when it comes to this!)

#16     Jun 3, 2006
  7. gnome

gnome

If your Matrox G450 is a PCI card, just plug it in and load the driver. Should be OK. However, G450 PCI cards are uncommon, so yours is likely an AGP card and you won't be able to use it with your Nvidia. In that case, look for a *genuine* Nvidia FX 5200 PCI card.

#17     Jun 3, 2006
  8. Surdo

Surdo

I bought the Matrox card from Matrox about 4 years ago, so I know it is not a knockoff.

Please pardon my complete lack of 'puter knowledge, I have a DUAL factory installed right now, I am confused, where would I plug in the 3rd monitor?

I understand there should be a slot inside the machine to hold the second card?

There are only two spots on the outside of the machine to house 2 jacks, how does this work logistically.

TIA

#18     Jun 3, 2006
  9. Adobian

Adobian

I guess you could use either a Crossfire Motherboard with 2 dual out ATI card, or an SLI motherboard with 2 dual out Nvidia card.

ATI X600 dual DVI probably cost $100 each.

#19     Jun 3, 2006
  10. gnome

gnome

What do you mean by "DUAL factory"?

Did you check to see if your Matrox is PCI or AGP?

You will need a 2nd video card mounted in a PCI slot. The card will have 2 ports for plugging in monitors.

#20     Jun 3, 2006