Four monitor question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jmjatlanta, Sep 7, 2007.

1. gnome

gnome

That is the smart and easy way, of course, but usually that's impossible... none of the AGP boards have 2 AGP slots, and many of the PCIE boards have only 1, x16 slot.

There are many mixed model and even mixed brand 2-4 card setups which will also work without conflict.

There are some combinations that won't work together, so it's good to know those and avoid.

#31     Sep 12, 2007
  2. gnome

gnome

I didn't mean to imply that "any old card will do".... you still have to be sure all the cards are compatible.

#32     Sep 12, 2007
  3. Quick update here... I purchased a PCI ATI-based video card, once again nothing special - this time a 256 MB radeon 9250 card for $40 ('matching' the ATI X300 I have in already). Threw it in there alongside the PCIe 16x card that had been driving my dual monitor setup (one DVI and one D-SUB). Plugged a 2005 FPW into the DVI output of the new card and voila!! It just started working right away - with a few adjustments I was able to get Windows to extend my desktop across three monitors, and if I maximize a window on any monitor, it maximizes out on just that monitor.

The only weird thing right now is - when I move my cursor around all three monitors, it occasionally get 'stuck' at the edge of the middle one and doesn't want to cross the 'barrier' to the rightmost one. However, if I drag a window from either left or centre monitors it drags onto the far right monitor with no problem and then the mouse is active in that monitor. Furthermore, I can actually get the mouse to go on to the rightmost monitor but I have to sit there for a moment and coax it to do so. This can surely be overcome.

Thanks gnome.

One stuck (dead?) pixel on my 'new' 2005FPW :(

Trying to get rid of it so any advice on that is appreciated.

#33     Sep 20, 2007
  4. Just in case anyone searches this thread with the same problem I had - I fixed the mouse movement problem by manipulating the position of the 'monitors' in the Control Panel-->Display-->Settings dialog box. Just drag the blue boxes around until it works.

#34     Sep 20, 2007
  5. Ares

Ares

SAPPHIRE RADEON HD 2600 XT dual GPU 512 MB (or 1024 mb) - $250/270

[​IMG]

GECUBE HD 2600 XT X2 (2XRV630XT)

[​IMG]

#35     Sep 20, 2007
  6. TOM134

TOM134

#36     Sep 20, 2007