Forthcoming books

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Math_Wiz, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Math_Wiz

Math_Wiz

Is there a place on the internet where I can see a list of forthcoming books by one or more particular authors??

Thanks for any advice,
    +-*/ Math_Wiz

2. Amazon is easy enough. Find any book by that author, click on his/her name, done. If need be, sort by publication date.

3. Math_Wiz

Math_Wiz

Amazon only shows books in print. I was looking for a list of forthcoming books that have not yet been published.

Does anyone know where to find a list of forthcoming books? Or does Amazon have a secret link? lol.

Thanks for anyone's help,
    +-*/ Math_Wiz

4. That is incorrect. Amazon shows most books during the various pre-publication stages. Even if the announced release date, if any, is still months or years away. There are 66,668 not yet published titles listed there now.

Secret link? You may want to go back and re-read my first reply. Then look up, e.g., the author "John L Person".

5. Math_Wiz

Math_Wiz

Thanks Apex. This is what I did:

1. Go to Amazon.com
    2. Type in John Person (we'll use your example). I see 12316 results.
    3. I click on the first book that is his. This brings up the book.
    4. I click on his name (under the title). This gives me 4 results.
    5. Over on the right, I sort by publication date. This now lists two unpublished books by him, and two published books. The two unpublished books are "available for preorder". I was hoping to find a complete list of forthcoming books, but I'm assuming Amazon only shows forthcoming books that are "available for preorder".

Yet you say there are 66,668 unpublished books listed at Amazon now. I looked around for that figure, or rather I looked around the website for the list of unpublished books, but couldn't find it. Where is that list? Is it searchable? If it's not searchable, then it doesn't help me.

Well, thanks again for your help Apex,
    +-*/ Math_Wiz

6. Sure, if you go to Books - Advanced Search, you can restrict Publication Date to "After Oct. [or Sep.] 2006", from that pull-down menu. Make use of any of the other fields, to refine your search.

If you need even more flexibility -- queries with logical expressions using and/or/not, () -- there's the Power Search, available from the same page. Note that * is a handy wild card character. It also works for Advanced Search, although is usually not necessary there, thanks to all the "Start of" radio buttons.

7. Math_Wiz

Math_Wiz

Ok, I tried that. I chose publication date after Oct 2006. I got 76,000 results. One would think the results should be accurate. However, when you click on practically any book in the list, they show up as both new and "used" lol.

So the Amazon list does not appear to be all that it's cracked up to be. It should be accurate, but it isn't. At least as far as I can tell, unless I am doing something wrong.

Well, thanks again for your help,
    +-*/ Math_Wiz

8. I believe that's the case only for already published books with pub. date missing or unknown, when you happen to sort by it. Obviously, it's a database bug that such a query returns those, as part of a superset of the correct results.

Since you said you're interested in particular authors (or maybe subjects), why not refine the results first, rather than attempt to browse a massive, ~6,000-page list with tens of thousands of entries, spanning every imaginable genre of fiction and nonfiction?

9. Math_Wiz

Math_Wiz

Yes, I tried that. Specifically, I'm looking for books by Tom Brown, Jr. (sorry, they are not trading related, lol). He teaches a nature-related school in New Jersey, and in one of his monthly newsletters (Jan. 2006) here:

http://www.trackerschool.com/news_monthly_details.asp?id=2

he describes a few books which were slated to be released anytime between Sept 2006 and spring 2007. Unfortunately, none of the books are showing up at Amazon, which is what made me think originally that Amazon did not list forthcoming books. But you corrected me on that, thank you.

However, it's still true that his forthcoming books are not showing up on Amazon, I'm not sure why. He has nearly 20 already-published books which Amazon sells, so I'm not really sure why his forthcoming books wouldn't be listed there. It's possible that they were canceled or something, but I really don't think so. He's a popular author and has been publishing books for nearly 30 years. Maybe his publisher doesn't tell retailers about forthcoming books for some reason. I suppose that's possible also.

Hmm, oh well. I guess I'll just have to keep waiting and checking.

Thanks for your help,
    +-*/ Math_Wiz

10. hcour

hcour Guest

You might try going to the publisher's website(s) of the author(s) you're interested in. IIRC some of them will even put you on a mailing list to be notified when a new book is coming out.

H

#10     Oct 16, 2006