Fort Hood massacre proves most muslims are nuts, and can easily turn into terrorists?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by crgarcia, Nov 10, 2009.

1. The psychiatrist turned out to be even nuttier than his patients?

2. No, I wouldn't say that <i>most</i> Muslims are capable of personally executing terrorist acts.

However, because there's such a fine line between Islam and terrorism, the majority of devout Muslims <i>are</i> probably passive terrorism sympathizers to some degree.

<b>Hasan Akbar case</b> (wikipedia)

The Hasan Akbar case covers an event in the 2003 U.S. invasion of Iraq, where US Army sergeant Hasan Karim Akbar (born Mark Fidel Kools in Watts, Los Angeles, California)[1] was convicted for the double-murder, or "fragging", of two officers of the 327th Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division.[2]

The victims were Army Captain Christopher Seifert and Air Force Major Gregory Stone. Fourteen other soldiers were also wounded in the incident, which took place on 23 March 2003. The sentence of death, affirmed by the commander of the 18th Airborne Corps,[3] is due to be heard on the court's docket when scheduled by the Army Court of Criminal Appeals under an automatic appeal.

Mark Fidel Kools was renamed Hasan Karim Akbar after his mother remarried and converted to Islam, changing her child's name to a Muslim one as well.[1]

He was admitted in 1988 under the name of Mark Fidel Kools to the University of California, Davis, graduating 9 years later with Bachelor's degrees in both Aeronautical and Mechanical Engineering.[4] After joining the United States Army, he was assigned to Alpha Company, 326th Engineer Battalion of the 101st Airborne, assigned as a Sapper and was eventually deployed to Kuwait. While educationally qualified for Officer's Candidate School, it is uncertain whether he failed to apply for it, or did apply and was turned down for Officer's Training.

Army Captain Christopher Seifert was also a member of the 101st Airborne Division. Air Force Major Gregory Stone, a member of the 124th Air Support Operations Squadron, Idaho Air National Guard, was attached to the 101st Airborne Division .
    [edit] Killings and aftermath

Akbar was charged in a hand grenade and shooting attack that killed Army Captain Christopher Seifert and Air Force Major Gregory Stone, while wounding 14 other soldiers on 23 March 2003. The attack took place at Camp Pennsylvania, Kuwait, a rear base camp for the invasion. There, Akbar threw hand grenades into a tent during early morning when the majority of troops were sleeping. He then fired his rifle into the ensuing chaos. News reports at the time claimed that Akbar had been recently reprimanded for insubordination and was told he would not join his unit's push into Iraq.

Although Akbar confessed to the crimes, his lawyers claimed that he had a history of mental illness which was known to the military.[5] During his trial Akbar smuggled a pair of scissors out of a conference room, then asked the Military Police Officer guarding him to remove his hand cuffs so that he might use the restroom. When the Officer did remove Akbar's restraints, he then stabbed the officer in the shoulder and neck with the scissors before being wrestled to the ground by another Officer. The army judge did not allow this attack to be admitted as evidence prior to sentencing.[6][7][8]

He was tried in Fort Bragg, North Carolina in front of a military jury of nine officers, with ranks from major to colonel, and six senior sergeants. There were 13 men and two women on the jury.
    [edit] Verdict and appeals

* On 21 April 2005 Akbar was found guilty of two counts of premeditated murder (of Army Capt. Christopher Seifert, 27, who was shot in the back, and Air Force Maj. Gregory Stone, 40, struck by shrapnel) and three counts of attempted premeditated murder.[9] He was sentenced to death on 28 April, the jury deliberating for approximately 7 hours.[10]

* On 20 November 2006 Lieutenant General John Vines, commander of the 18th Airborne Corps, affirmed the death sentence against Akbar.[3] The case now goes to the Army Court of Criminal Appeals under an automatic appeal. If the appeal fails, the execution will take place by lethal injection.

<b>Since the Vietnam War, Akbar is the first U.S. soldier to be charged with the murder of another soldier during wartime</b>, and the third soldier since the Vietnam War to be sentenced to death for killing a fellow soldier, though William Kreutzer Jr.'s sentence was commuted to life. The last U.S. military execution was that of John A. Bennett in 1961.
    [edit] Possible motives

Military officials attributed Akbar's motive to resentment.[11] In a diary entry dated 4 February 2003, Akbar referred to mistreatment by his fellow soldiers:

I suppose they want to punk me or just humiliate me. Perhaps they feel that I will not do anything about that. They are right about that. I am not going to do anything about it as long as I stay here. But as soon as I am in Iraq, I am going to try and kill as many of them as possible.

Akbar wrote prior to the attack "I may not have killed any Muslims, but being in the Army is the same thing. I may have to make a choice very soon on who to kill."[12]

Prosecutors alleged that his diary entries and his actions (stealing hand grenades and turning off the generator that lit the camp) showed that the attack was premeditated.

Akbar's mother, Quran Bilal, did tell reporters that she believed intolerance for his race and his Muslim faith created tensions within his unit as it prepared to invade a Muslim country.[1] Akbar's father has said that his son was the only African American and only Muslim in his company, the other members of which subjected him to constant harassment.[13]

Akbar himself reportedly said, just moments after his arrest, "You guys are coming into our countries, and you're going to rape our women and kill our children."

3. Anyone remember Timothy McVeigh? Another disturbed but probably not crazy individual with a military background.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_McVeigh

4. Political correctness labels us dangerous if we do.

5. maxpi

maxpi

Akbar is a total loser. He was a loner with a really poor service record... Also the fact that nobody did anything with the guy to avert the shootings is a real testament to what Political Correctness does..

6. Muslin Religion = nuts. Thats was an easy one.

7. All religion = nuts. Even easier.

8. No, its not called terrorism anymore. From now on terrorist attacks are supposed to be called "man-made disasters". That is the official word from the Obama administration.

9. TGregg

TGregg

And Micheal Moore has already called terrorists "freedom fighters".

10. Sgt. John M. Russell killed 5 in May as far as known he was not a Muslim. Saying Muslim service personnel are likely to turn their gun on their own is about as mad as stating Jewish and Chinese military personnel are more likely to spy for a foreign power.

#10     Nov 11, 2009