Former Stockbroker Turned Filmmaker, Fundraising Online For A RED ONE Movie Camera

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DallasTrader, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

Everything in a film production is rented: equipment, people, etc. If serious, map out a full budget. 'Serious' is not just buying a camera.

#11     Jun 23, 2010
  2. Wow, finally have been unbanned, thanks Baron. I'll respond to everyone who has a question, criticism or anything. I'm open to hear it as it will just help me improve my effort in reaching my goal.

I've been involved in independent filmmaking for the past 5 years now. The cost to rent the Red camera depending on where you go is around $800 to $1200 a day. You can call these people up if you don't believe me, they are one of the cheaper places in my area to rent from. link

To rent a Red for say a month to shoot a feature film costs ($800x30=$24,000 to $1200x30=$36,000). It really just depends on rental rates in your area and what you can negotiate.

In Florida the rate is around $895 a day. link

Usually you can get a deal of around $20,000 for a month. When you take into consideration the cost of renting for just one feature, you are actually better off buying the camera since the price isn't that far off and just renting lenses instead. By acquiring the camera for slightly more you truly are better off because you can do pickup shots if you have to go back and get something you missed. You can also shoot your next few features on it and you can take on other projects as well as commercial work to generate some income to fund your next feature. You can also help out other filmmakers who can't afford renting one and take on charitable causes like public service announcements, etc.

There are also the benefits of successfully fundraising for one. You get a featured article on the IndieGoGo site, which is rare, there aren't a lot of success stories out there. You also will likely get press write-ups on the success story and along the way, all the people you contact who maybe don't donate, may go and see what all is shot on the camera. So you can essentially create a grass roots following so when your projects are released, they become an event.

One of the hardest things for an independent filmmaker to do is get a large audience. The cost to advertise on television is too expensive for many independent filmmakers. Many filmmakers are now getting deals in the $100k to $500k range but the deal doesn't involve any real promotional/advertising costs, so the filmmakers are stuck having to find creative ways to promote their projects after they are done and many end up going nowhere because of it.

What some smarter filmmakers have done in the past is they have created a buildup to their films online. That way when it's released it becomes an event and they can leverage that to help them get distribution and possibly even sell more DVD copies to help finance their next film and become self sustaining as a producer/director.

I feel that successfully meeting this goal will help create an event as people follow up to see what all is shot on it, where the camera has been and track it on the website.

#12     Jun 23, 2010
  3. lol

#13     Jun 23, 2010
  4. If you feel you offer something tangible. Why not sell stock in your company on the pinksheets and get investors to invest.

Why should anyone give you free donations so you can make profits. Why not sell shares?

#14     Jun 23, 2010
  5. Along the same lines I would like a donation for a new diesel 4 door chevy pickup and a 5th wheel trailer this could be used but I'd prefer a new one at least a 34 footer with 3 slides. I would use this in my construction business and it would really help my bottom line by not having to buy it myself. I've saved enough money to buy this myself but I really don't want to spend that much out of my savings and I also don't want to make payments either. So if you would be so kind to give me your money I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

#15     Jun 23, 2010

6. :D

#16     Jun 24, 2010
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

First, I appreciate the PM asking me for money. Nothing is better then a morning solicitation with my coffee...

Second, nowadyas you can make movie fucking dirt cheap... Cameras are dirt cheap, video editing software is cheap, what do you need so much money for? Special effects?

If a few college kids can make a blockbuster with their handicam, you should be able to make a documentary on a 1 month salary...

#17     Jun 24, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.