Former Senator Fred Thompson in Remission for Lymphoma

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Former Senator Fred Thompson in Remission for Lymphoma

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

FC1
    ADVERTISEMENT

WASHINGTON —
    Former Tennessee Republican Sen. Fred Thompson told FOX News on Wednesday that he's in remission from cancer.

"I wouldn't be doing this if I wasn't satisfied in my own mind as to the nature of it and the fact that not only will I have an average life span, but in the meantime, I will not be affected in any way by it," Thompson said. "Now of course nobody knows the future but that has been in the history for almost three years now in terms of no symptoms and no sickness."

Thompson, who is considering a run for the White House in 2008, said the cancer is treatable.

"I have had no illness from it, or even any symptoms. My life expectancy should not be affected. I am in remission, and it is very treatable with drugs if treatment is needed in the future — and with no debilitating side effects," Thompson said.

Thompson, an actor on "Law and Order," was diagnosed with indolent lymphoma in 2004 after a routine physical.

Indolent lymphoma is slow-growing type of cancer expected to see about 63,000 new cases this year, according to the American Cancer Society.

Thompson has a favorable prognosis and is no longer in treatment, said Dr. Bruce Cheson of Georgetown University Hospital.

Thompson recently told FOX News last month that he was considering making a bid for president. Candidates typically release information about health issues before announcing campaign plans.

"I'm going to wait and see what happens," Thompson said. "I want to see my colleagues on the campaign trial, what they say, what they emphasize, whether they can carry the ball next November."

Thompson, 64, who plays district attorney Arthur Branch on the NBC drama, said he was pondering a run after former Senate Majority Leader Howard Baker and other Tennessee Republicans began drumming up support for his possible Republican candidacy, citing his conservative credentials.

2. saxon

saxon

Who the heck is Fred Thompson anyway??