Former Poker player...Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by DuyLe, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Did this trad3r fail because of his basic math skills? :D

#51     Feb 4, 2012
  2. clacy

clacy

If you're legitimately profitable (consistently making $100k/yr), I would highly recommend moving to Canada or the Caribbean

#52     Feb 4, 2012
  3. hitnrun

hitnrun

poker & trading have a completely different approach & mindset

pro players view that one is gambling the other is managing risk

their are two different skillsets needed to play poker or trade profitably

I would say that playing poker is slow & dull usually . unless your winning

where trading is driving in the indy 500 race & you have to make split second decisions

#53     Feb 4, 2012
  4. donny321

donny321

you play 6-,000 -8,000 hands a day at 400NL - 2000NL? wow

are you nananoko? lol

with the rakeback you must be making a killing.

why not move to canada like the other pros?

#54     Feb 5, 2012
  5. Bob bright trading in vegas. looks slow and dull to me.

let me know if he shifts gears or goes in for a pit stop.

s

youtube.com/watch?v=H0tHpZR9HNI

#55     Feb 5, 2012
  6. No ... the problems are much more basic than that. It is not that he can't add 2+2 and get 4 ... he cannot recognize that there is a difference between two pounds and two tons.

#56     Feb 5, 2012
  7. Guy from Appaloosa made a few billion long bank stocks... while there are perhaps a dozen players at 500/1000 online.

#57     Feb 5, 2012
  8. Reality is that you can not compare trading with anything else, i believe.

Trading is a very unique business with its own rules.

Although there are a few similar thing to other games, like poker for riskmanagment and overall odds, like chess for strategy thinking, like for puzzles about waiting and finding the best situations.

Thats all similarities i know.

The easiest saying for what is trading for me is: "Its betting on high odds, while controlling the risk".

After all, to learn trading, is very hard work, much more than to learn playing poker. Its incredible hardcore, thats why you can make so much money with it, while lying naked and drunken in your bed and putting the triggers of buying and selling. LOL:p

#58     Feb 5, 2012
  9. that post was for "hitnrun", to show him that there are players who make a lot of money in online poker.

I think Blom is smart enough to have safed enough of his winnings to make a good living of it, he doesnt seem so stupid to me.

My advice is still he should move to outside the US and continue his carreer with pokerstars. that would be the best for him,

dont you think, atticus ???

Best,

HtR:)

#59     Feb 5, 2012
  10. In a younger life, I play lots of poker. And after many years of trading, my view is that poker and trading are not very much alike.

Trading IS, however, much like card counting in Black Jack. That is, you need to be observant, keep up-to-date with the data, and be analytical... then when it appears the odds of a play are in your favor, get the money out.

In BJ card counting, you'll know when the deck is in your favor. It's more complex and less certain in trading.

#60     Feb 5, 2012