Fork In The Road

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by youngtrader, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Sulu and ProfitPirate

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. However the MGEX has not merged with the cme......yet anyway. Mark Bagan our president at the MGEX was telling me not too long ago that he thinks our floor could be around another 10 years and he isn't exactly what I would call a big supporter of the floor (even though he got his start in the business clerking on the floor). Currently the MGEX trades about 70% open outcry. So maybe going to MGEX is the best solution. Im still undecided though.

Any other thoughts.

#11     Mar 3, 2008
  2. no future amount of money can buy being physically 18 again as far as night life goes.
    If your family owns a seat, I don't see what the risk would be of going to Chicago and see what you can do on your own, then use your family connections as a plan B. Especially if you can get into a better school in Chicago than in your home town.

#12     Mar 3, 2008
  3. Follow your heart... and i suspect it pointing to Chicago.

Have fun and do what you think will make you happy, not what you think will make you successful... That I think is the secret of success.

(And if you fail, hell at least you had fun!)

#13     Mar 3, 2008
  4. Arrrrrrrrrrrgghh! No laddy, what I was saying was CBOT won't be around as long as MGEX, so ye better off to go with MGEX...

#14     Mar 9, 2008
  5. Minneapolis and the pit. Sounds like you know (or are related to) the right people which is the important thing...why even go to college?

Just kidding, stay in school!:cool:

#15     Mar 9, 2008
  6. To be honest if my parents weren't making me go I wouldn't go. Imo a college degree means absolutely nothing in trading and is not necessary for success but my parents are making me go so I figure that if I have to go anyway I might as well go to a college that is located in a city that has a major futures exchange.

#16     Mar 9, 2008
  7. MartyD

MartyD

I'm biased because I live here, but Chicago is a wonderful city. If you do decide to go to school here, chances are you'll never want to leave. :)

Best of luck to you with your decision.

#17     Mar 9, 2008
  8. Hey,

I hear this comment a lot from kids who say that college degrees mean nothing. I had a wonderful education and learned from the best in the field, currently doing derivatives trading (vol arb) and I find a college education essential.

Go to somewhere good, top 10 school. The friends you meet will be an invaluable network and the education is an investment in itself.

Best of luck!
    Joseph

#18     Mar 9, 2008
  9. Thanks guys

MartyD

What colleges would you recommend me applying to in Chicago that are good quality but at the same time not super hard to get into (my gpa is 3.0 and act score was 21). DePaul, Loyola, North Park and U of I Chicago campus are the ones that I currently am looking at. Care to share any info about those colleges or others? The more and more I think about it, the more and more im leaning towards Chicago but I still think I am going to clerk in the pits up at minneapolis this summer anyway.

JoeTrade

Like I mentioned above I am not academically smart (partially because Im just not and partially because I don't give a damn) and have no chance what so ever of getting into a top 10 school. I am a very good trader and am extremely street smart but colleges could care less about that, all they want to see is stats about how well I did in school.

Thanks again guys

#19     Mar 9, 2008