Forex Volume

Discussion in 'Forex' started by VisionTrader, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Oher than the CME, does anyone here trade tick volume/transaction volume or some type of volume for currencies. I'd like to hear some thoughts on this from everyone.

VT

2. If anyone does, I'd be most curious to know where they get the data since there's no centralized "volume" in spot forex.

3. I have noticed that many of the platforms do not have volume, on balance volume, or advance/decline. I'm sure the market makers have some record of the volume of buys and sells.

I can only conclude that they want to keep us in the dark as to volume because it is a good indicator of possible tops and bottoms.

By the way;

I was shocked to see the pip spreads on Oanda today Sunday Aug 14, 2005 from 3:45 pm to 5:00 pm CST. They were all 10 pips plus. To compare I opened some other platforms. I chose a few quick pairs. They broke down like this:

Strategy Builders EUR/USD 2 PIPS
    EUR/GBP 4 PIPS
    USD/JPY 3 PIPS
    EUR/JPY 4 PIPS

FX-Solutions EUR/USD 3 PIPS
    EUR/GBP 5 PIPS
    USD/JPY 3 PIPS
    EUR/JPY 4 PIPS

FXDD EUR/USD 2 PIPS
    EUR/GBP 5 PIPS
    USD/JPY 3 PIPS
    EUR/JPY 5 PIPS

RGC Mini EUR/USD 5 PIPS
    EUR/GBP 6 PIPS
    USD/JPY 4 PIPS
    EUR/JPY 11 PIPS

Oanda EUR/USD 10 PIPS
    EUR/GBP 10 PIPS
    USD/JPY 10 PIPS
    EUR/JPY 10 PIPS

I know it is a high volitility timeframe but this is when the big swings and big profits can be made. Who wants to trade on 5 pip swings?

4. Oanda spreads always widen out over the "weekend", which I think they consider to run through 6pm ET on Sunday.

5. It's 7:45 p.m. EST. sunday night and the spreads are still at 10 +:mad:

6. OK. Maybe it's 8pm.

7. Ok, no problem....

Still, if Oanda's spreads are that wide , during periods of volitility, and stay wide for long periods, then it won't be practical to trade with Oanda's platform when U really wan't to get in on a trade. :) :cool: