Forex trading with Oanda

Discussion in 'Forex Brokers' started by paulr, Jan 16, 2003.

1. cvds16

cvds16

E63M is the euro/USD contract; put in euro and then the future and you will get it. Underlying is 125.000 USD.
    I still see no reason to use a forex-firm if you can get such a smaller spread which more than compensates for the commisions you pay. Liquidity seems good, even if you want to trade more contracts you will get filled. I suppose some people that trade the spot forex are making markets in the futures too.

#41     May 10, 2003
  2. #42     May 10, 2003
  3. cvds16

cvds16

Yes it is, my fault, i reversed it.

#43     May 11, 2003
  4. totti

totti

if they sharge no commission and spread is so narrow (
    smaller than banks spreads)

one question come araise

How do they make money?

#44     May 12, 2003
  5. I trade the estx, bund and cac40 futures currently. What currency future would one recommend that I look at trading in the same hours as these index futures, that has liquidity and trends well ?
    Also, what exchange do they trade at ? Thanks.

#45     May 12, 2003
  6. Just opened a FXGame account with Oanda. I like it. Will open a trading account and trade small once I get a feel. I only trade USD/JPY, for now.

#46     Aug 20, 2003
  7. izeickl

izeickl

European time is the best, when London opens, then New York opens later on so both are active it makes for alot more movement than any other times.

#47     Aug 21, 2003
  8. corvus

corvus

I've gone over this extensively, and the cost works out to be pretty close to the same depending on the broker you choose.

But the "features" are pretty different between forex brokers and futures brokers. The biggest two advantages of the futures with a broker like IB, say, is that I get a wider variety of order types *and* my cash is available for trading in other instruments if I choose. I haven't seen a forex broker with trailing stops, conditional orders, etc, but if they are out there, let me know!

The advantage to the forex brokers to me are guaranteed fills and stops. They are always ready to deal at the price listed, and your stops are usually guaranteed up to some threshold. In a truly traumatic event in the futures, you may have to chase the limit down to get filled and out of your position, if you can find someone to take the other side...this is how stop orders operate in IB, for instance. I like the notion of knowing exactly what I have on the table. Also, I only have one technical thing to worry about in order to guarantee my liquidity...is my broker live? With the futures, I have to worry about both my broker *and* the exchange (ie Globex). My stop order may not be executed if IB's connection to Globex is down, as it has been many times in the past and they will not honor my stop in these events. Now, some argument has been made that these little fx firms are making a fairly bold statement by guaranteeing these stops...and I don't have extensive experience to know how reliable they are. But it is the #1 attraction for me...

So, I am looking for a forex broker with guaranteed trailing stops. Anyone know of such a place? :)

#48     Aug 21, 2003
  9. manz66

manz66

Try refco. I was with refco, then transfered to oanda. So, refco sales guy called and badgering me that they have a guarantee stops, plus other advantages. But, I am still with oanda.:cool:

#49     Aug 21, 2003
  10. corvus

corvus

What I want is IB TWS (w/ API) & Forex ala FXCM, Refco, etc. :)

#50     Aug 21, 2003