Forex charts with volume

Discussion in 'Forex' started by trader56, Mar 9, 2008.

1. nolajy

nolajy

use the cme futures currency contracts.. they have real time volume and open in

Forex has over 80 banks that submit quotes through e-signal .. volume is going to be bank/platform specific.. I have not heard
    anything about cme putting forex feeds together.. pardon the pun.. but that's a pipe dream that won't happen.. why would banks give up the edge? duh

#31     Mar 10, 2008
  2. I never made that claim. Of course it's possible. But it's competitive information. No ECN or bank network is going to release it for $20 to anyone on eSignal.

#32     Mar 10, 2008
  3. I didn't quote you. The argument that $20 is insufficient isn't logical. Either is guarded proprietary info or it isn't. Why sell any data for $20?

#33     Mar 10, 2008
  4. Just so you know, there are 6 INTERBANK feeds not 80. Each bank doesn't have it's own feed and it isn't up to them to decide whether they are merged. Some banks use multiple feeds some smaller banks only use one.

#34     Mar 10, 2008
  5. sim03

sim03

I'd be curious to find out the exact nature of Hotspot's volume data. Could come in handy to gauge price action on a day like today, when sentiment is key. Trader KGB, since you are a client of both Hotspot FXr and FXi, maybe you could go straight to the source... give them a call and ask?

#35     Mar 11, 2008
  6. Below is an excerpt from the Ensign website relating to FXCM's "volume" data. I suspect most, if not all the other vendors who are offerring purported "volume" are using the same mechanism - basically useless data in my opinion, but whatever ...

Volume:

Q: I have some questions on the volume figure which is associated with symbols on the FXCM feed. It is quite unusual to see volume with FOREX symbols and I've been looking back through the historical data and the volume information seems quite useful information from a technical analysis point of view. Is this the volume for all of FXCM trading for a particular symbol?

A: The FXCM feed does not have any volume information. However, Ensign uses a volume of 1 for each price, so what you are seeing is really a tick count. That is useful, like real volume would be, to show periods of increased activity. The activity is that from the FXCM order desk and is independent of what might be happening to forex trading at other clearing firms.

The last thirteen words here are the key. You are not seeing reality. Or, put another way, you are seeing the reality your broker wants you to see. Argue on ...

#36     Mar 11, 2008