Foreign Markets with IB

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by vanilla2, Feb 10, 2004.

1. So, the profits made in the Nikkei can be used to trade US products the following day? Is this correct? Without any conversion. Since it's a "universal account" and all.

#11     May 25, 2004
  2. def

def Sponsor

yes.

#12     May 25, 2004
  3. vinigar

vinigar

def,
    I haven't traded the foreign markets simply because of many of the questions that have been answered here....question...can the conversion back to US currency be done on a daily basis automatically ...or do you have to request the conversion each time from IB?:confused:

#13     May 25, 2004
  4. I don't get it. It's like in the afternoon now in japan right? how come the N225 is not that active?

not too much action.

Also, can IB switch me to a HK server now? Who do i contact? I like to watch the Nikkei. But IB US is down.

#14     May 25, 2004
  5. May 26: The Buddha's Birthday

#15     May 26, 2004
  6. Oh man! Too many holidays in Japan! No wonder it's so slow today!

#16     May 26, 2004
  7. def

def Sponsor

actually it is not a holiday in Japan but in HK and Korea.

if you keep a flat position only your profit/loss stays in the local currency. if you want to convert the balance you can do it any time via IDEAL (ie. JPY CASH or HKD CASH).

if you want to be on the HK server, send a mail to the help desk with the request. changes will be made over the following weekind

#17     May 26, 2004
  8. def,

thanks for the info. the first night i tried to trade the Nikkei and NOTHING happens. nothing moved.

oh well.

#18     May 26, 2004
  9. Thanks for the info in this thread. I never realized that you can trade foreign markets without actually holding their base currency.

#19     Jun 6, 2004
  10. lwlee

lwlee

Bump for this thread. It answered my questions about trading the nikkei and hang seng.

For traders who trade these markets with a USD denominated account, what is your strategy for converting back to USD? I don't think doing it daily is cost effective but doing it say once a month exposes you to currency fluctuation. Are the fees nominal enough to do it once a week?

#20     Mar 10, 2007