Forbes: GOOG could fall 50% in 2006

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by capmac, Dec 30, 2005.

1. to the moon...

#21     Jan 3, 2006
  2. <i>CSCO at their peak I believe had a 550 billlion market cap and had no where near the monopoly GOOG has.</i>

<i>No company has ever grown this fast and had this kind of monopoly on a commodity that most of us would agree is the most valuable in the world. Yes, even more valuable then oil.</i>

I'm dyin' here. Let me in on the secret. What's this magical commodity Google has a monopoly on?

Martin

#22     Jan 3, 2006
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Information, the most valuable commodity in the world.

#23     Jan 3, 2006

4. last time I checked, information is not a commodity:p

just picking on you cuz you have a good argument.

I would phrase it as information is the most valuable resource in the world.

edit: i still stand strong that GOOG will stumble within the next 5 weeks or so.

#24     Jan 4, 2006
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Gorden Gecko "The most valuable commodity I know of is information."

Wall Street

:D

#25     Jan 4, 2006
  6. So, you are actually claiming that Google has a monopoly on information?

I just wanted to double check before I waste any more time on your silliness.

Martin

#26     Jan 4, 2006
  7. nkhoi

nkhoi

Bill future stratergy seem to be paying for users to come to the site, think about it, what could be more exciting than free money.

#27     Jan 4, 2006
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Yes Martin, they do. It is their intention to commoditize the information market. They have a monopoly because at this time, they are the only company that can demand a monetary retribution for information. The reason for that is, they are more effective in getting the right information to the right people to create a point of sale or point of interest.

On top of that, with their recent stake in Time Warner, they are expanding into the media business. It's only a matter of time before GOOG has a tv network, radio, and pretty soon, they will own the rights to provide the entire city of San Francisco with wifi connecting through them.

It's their goal to control every pathway in which you get information. From the internet, to media, to print ads. Now with the advent of the $200 pc they are about to introduce, they are going to actually give you the actual device to do that. I would say, this company is soon going to be dealing with anti-trust issues.

#28     Jan 4, 2006
  9. I agree. Few people know where this is headed. Google wants to run the world.

Google will be everywhere and in everything in 20 years.

John

#29     Jan 4, 2006
  10. If the Internet has taught us anything, it is that information becomes more useful the less control is exerted over it. Far from being a monopoly, Google thrives on creating value by lowering barriers to information. Google's competitive advantage is quite literally the opposite of monopoly.

Google does not seek to control information but to organize it. What little information Google actually owns (Keyhole satellite data for example) they give away for free. None of their announced or even rumored initiatives would extend monopolistic control over any source of information.

Virtually all of the information Google serves belongs to someone else. The information stored on its data centers and passing through its networks is all broadcast data derived from public sources. Your Gmail belongs to you, not Google. Advertisers control their own content, and the value of that content is predicated on giving it away for free.

Lacking any uncompetitive advantage, Google must rely only on its competitive advantages which are considerable.

I believe in what Google is doing and I think they are one of Silicon Valley's great success stories. Sadly, Google has fallen victim to their own hype. They have been overvalued to the point where their actual business model can no longer plausibly deliver the earnings growth implied by their stock price. As a result, the only way to make a bull case for Google's stock is to invent new and nonsensical business models for them.

Martin

#30     Jan 4, 2006