Forbes $30-$35 Oil Price Prediction

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by libertad, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Sam123

Sam123 Guest

Exactly.

#21     Sep 15, 2005
  2. moonpi

moonpi

My understanding of bio-diesel was that on a large scale it just wouldn't work out. That is if you're using corn, since a major cost factor for the production of fertilizer and harvesting is oil itself, and that the whole process did not yield excess energy. It'd be like you giving me a barrel of oil, and then I go and turn it into enough corn to create a half barrel of oil. That kind of equation is not going to sustainably solve our energy supply problems.

#22     Sep 15, 2005
  3. #23     Sep 15, 2005
  4. moonpi

moonpi

Very interesting article, thanks for the link! Wasn't aware the yields on algae were so much greater than normal crops. Any signs that any of those processes studied are anywhere near commercialization?

#24     Sep 15, 2005
  5. Moonpi........

Soy...requires competing agricultural lands...

Algae does not...The DOE is well aware of its potential....

As Briggs mentioned...it takes a gargantuan initial project..similar in cost to the IRAQ War...

Ok..so what would you rather have...an Iraq War...or a evergreen source of domestic fuel at $30 $35...

This is why I think the hedge fund play is over....The oils want the average price to be below breakeven for alts within 3 year intervals...

Start..lose...start ..lose...this is the game...

But if the US will follow through...then biodiesel could happen...

And Biodiesel is being used now...what is needed is to replace fossil fuels...

This has a chance...but not with an oil crony president...vice president...

The Bush blunders have cost the US 10 to 20 years vs alts....

Very frustrating....

#25     Sep 15, 2005
  6. mhashe

mhashe

I don't think alt. energy is a matter of "Cost" anymore but a matter of national security. To hold the entire economy and our foreign policy hostage to the politics of a few rabid arabs runs tantamount to treason in my book. As for the cost of commercialization, as with any infrastructure there is an initial cost will be amortized over time. Btw, I agree that crude has peaked, it's downhill from here back to a 50/60 price band consolidation range.

#26     Sep 15, 2005
  7. how does that apply to oil? oil - not only do u have to discover it but you have to pipe it out. jewelry is 'liquid'...

street people are going to look for oil? lol...

#27     Sep 15, 2005
  8. btw the pundits keep saying that the supply will increase to meet demands ... but this was since oil at $40. lol... oil was supposed to pour out of iraq.... then saudis were gonna increase output... then spr was gonna be released...

biodiesel, alt. fuels are great, but consumers arent going to see any of that any time soon...

#28     Sep 15, 2005
  9. are you saying that alternative fuels or energy markets cant be cornered ?

#29     Sep 15, 2005
  10. If biodiesel became just another cash crop for agriculture...these guys are incredible when it comes to productivity...to the degree that subsidies make up 20 to 30 pct of most agricultural products....

Biodiesel sounds somewhat illogical...no different than status quo thinking when the first PC..airplane...lightbulb etc...

Look in the US the oil cos. are as ingrained in the political system as GM ..Ford...Chrysler....they have had their day in the sun....

Biodiesel does not require a change in distribution...and in fact...because of this...Agriculture would be a price taker...seeing how they do not own the distriburion...and on the other hand...the oil cos. do not own farmers the land....

In this case..the money that is being spent on Iraq and Katrina would have put the US far far towards renewables at the $30-35 range...This where oil is going back to...

Look...solar...renewables etc. are not new anymore...the price has to be right...and it can get there...

Unfortunately Iraq and Katrina...and the US leadership...sets this back 10 to 20 years....

#30     Sep 15, 2005