Forbes $30-$35 Oil Price Prediction

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by libertad, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Pabst

Pabst

LOL.

I remember hearing a story back in 1980 when the Hunt's were bulling/squeezing/cornering silver. It proved at the time to be precipitous. Street people in India were selling their silver jewelry in response to $50 an oz. prices. The jewelry was then melted down.

At cheap prices consumers you never dreamt of are tempted for a taste. The opposite occurs at the tops. Commodities ain't dot.com stocks. Oops: They broke hard too.

#11     Sep 14, 2005
  2. The other real reason is that alts have real possibilities here....

Oils do not want profitable alts...

Start and lose...start and lose...

This is the game for alts....vs oils....

#12     Sep 14, 2005
  3. I agree with you (for a change) o libertarian one.

If oil prices are too high, it encourages alternative energies. Then there goes your products and your profits. That's a bad situation.

Fuel cell tech is nice because you can sell it like you sold oil!!!! Out of a pump. Just a few modifications, and you're good to go. That's another reason why I expect fuel cell tech to happen, as opposed to electric cars which will render the entire oil delivery infrastructure useless. That's bad for business, you know? We'll make sure our buddies in congress make that not happen!

Spike and fall... Spike and fall...

Long term average price must remain below what the cost of alt.energy is.

Now, let me know what that # is so I can start writing 5 year strads....

#13     Sep 14, 2005
  4. Biodiesel has promise......

Serves both renewable and oil interests...

Technology is here now...

Distribution is already in place...

It can start now....

Has current and prospective sources...

Fossil fuels...annual crop production...algae and other nonfood competitive prospects....

Biodiesel can be enjoined in a win win for the alts and oils...

The hedge fund intellect will find it hard to take the other side at 70+...and the last one out...loses of course...

I have rarely seen so many upward forces in the information stream regarding a price...this time it is oil..

Staying above 70 is simply not going to happen...and going to something less than 40 puts the alts ill at ease...

However biodiesel has promise...

#14     Sep 14, 2005
  5. It is correct that biodiesel has a hippy type name...however it is not new...

A lot of work and study over the years by the DOE...

http://www.dieselnet.com/links/fuel_biodiesel.html

A major point is that renewables from agriculture are just another crop type...and require the use of "food land"...
    However biodiesel could be just another crop...or new land usage that is not food crop competitive is very promising..

Algae is over 30% oil...and grows very quickly..best in saline water...

The problem here is the win lose win lose oil price syndrome and would have to be govt supported...

To be a high dollar crop would be more interesting to ag...however oil companies do not own their land titles..and would not approve of them in their margins...

....................................................................................

What is promising is that some of the Carribean countries could become self sufficient in alts..and would make them a lot stronger...the money would stay at home...

Good luck to all on their oil related positions...the next year will be very interesting..........

#15     Sep 14, 2005
  6. So all these alts can be delivered to my local Shell station and fill my tank tomorrow?

#16     Sep 14, 2005
  7. Oh man, I can't stop laffin'. :D :D :D

#17     Sep 14, 2005
  8. FireWalker

09-14-05 09:41 PM

So all these alts can be delivered to my local Shell station and fill my tank tomorrow?

Biodiesel is already being sold....as are differing blends of ethanol and biodiesel....

Diesel engines require no changes...

If the US Govt.. would have spent the money on biodiesel vs Iraq.... you would be a long way towards displacing a very high percentage of traditional gasoline and diesel usage.....
    Bush has pushed and funded other types of programs...which have a much longer time fuse..."oil cronies"

Look ...the poorest countries are a picture of what the US is going to look like...mostly diesels and motorcycles....If on a prorata basis...the US made this shift which requires no tech changes...this would cut usage by 40% or more...

This is no hat trick...

Furthermore...the US would no longer be sending money outside the country...that it currently desperately needs...

#18     Sep 14, 2005
  9. mhashe

mhashe

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/methane_bate.html

Mother Earth News
    Issue # 8 - March 1971
    Harold Bate and his Marvelous Chicken-powered Car
    by Rod Chadwick

Harold Bate, British farmer, thought running his car on chicken manure would be a logical way to beat the high tax on his native England's gasoline prices. And it is. But his countrymen's traditional tolerance of eccentrics has been, in Harold's case, unfortunate. While sympathetic ears and even radio and television time were accorded him in Great Britain's time honored fashion, no attention whatever was paid to the scheme itself. Even the stamp of official approval that Bate received from the government's Ministry of Transport did little to advance his case; the English placing harmless eccentrics and politicians in much the same category.

So it was that Harold Bate and his chicken-powered 1953 Hillman, even at 75 m.p.h., travelled the land virtually unnoticed and -- after two or three years of this -- a despondent Harold journeyed to Canada and explained his invention to television audiences there.

---------------

biodiesel technology has been around forever. But the big oil traitors and their loyal supporters in govt. keep on supressing the technology. With what we spend in Iraq in 1 day, we can have this type of technology commecialized in no time. But then the traitors and their arab masters would'nt profit, and the politicians whose campaigns they fund would be put out of govt.

#19     Sep 14, 2005
  10. duard

duard

09-13-05 01:22 AM

Anyone read the Long only commodity fund article in "Futures" this month.

Interesting.

D.

#20     Sep 15, 2005