For you S&P traders...

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by vonk, Mar 27, 2003.

1. vonk

vonk

I have noticed that often the trin and the tick are inversely correlated. High Ticks and low trins go together and are a sign of bullishness. This morning has been the opposite. High Trin and High Tick. It appears the High Tick has overpowered the High Trin readings. Can anyone offer some insight into what the subtext behind todays action is? It is not extremely bullish in relation to yesterdays close but it is in relation to today open. But Trin has remained stubbornly high - above 1.

2. cherriman

cherriman

Hi,

I was searching for an explanation of yesterday's (28 July 2006) high trin/tick readings and came across your post. I lost $3,000 paper-trading the mini-Dow because the trin went up to 1.42 at one point and I assumed this was bearish; I checked the NYSE and selling was about 3:1 vs buying.

Did you ever find out what happened ?

3. yeah, what happened was money from institutions floodin' the mkt...algo after algo addin' to pos on every decline...month-end window dressin', innit.

4. cherriman

cherriman

Hi,

I was searching for an explanation of yesterday's (28 July 2006) high trin/tick readings and came across your post. I lost $3,000 paper-trading the mini-Dow because the trin went up to 1.42 at one point and I assumed this was bearish; I checked the NYSE and selling was about 3:1 vs buying.

Did you ever find out what happened ?

5. cherriman

cherriman

Thanks for that. Apart from your experience, is there anything else that can confirm what is happening ?

6. What time frame are you trading? On a short term intraday basis I have found no value in watching any of them, not that I havent tried. Watch them side by side for awhile. It seems to me that the minis lead everything. There may be some value on a longer term basis, I dont know.

7. Tyren

Tyren

I've got "information overload" when looking at tick,tickq,trin,trinq. I'd rather just look at sectors like semi, tech, brokers, bank, oil, steel, gold to understand where money are going, and asset-classes like bonds, USD and oil.

8. cherriman

cherriman

I'm currently day-paper-trading the mini-Dow on 5-minute charts trying to get into intraday trends (preferably a couple of hours). The tick/trin appear confusing at the moment; I also wonder if it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges.
    Extreme tick readings seem like they should be good for scalping with a bit more experience whilst waiting for a trend to come along.

9. You have to put all indicators into the context of what the market is doing. For example, when the TRIN was at it's peak, advance-decline was around 1400, for example. Historically, it's a bit hard to anticipate a complete collapse at that point. Could happen, but not likely.

It is foolish to hang your results on one or two indicators. Look at price and as someone else said look at money flows (virtually every sector was green). You need a big picture concept of what the market is going to do within your trading time frame, and maybe your indicators will help you time a good entry.

10. There are two TRIN's. One for NYSE and one for NASDAQ. Which one should we follow? Both of them? Today they are both over 1.00 and below 2.00, but the ES is slowly going up right now also. I thought when the TRIN is up above +1, then the ES should go down? (watching 1-minute trin)

#10     Jul 31, 2006