For You PC Power Jockeys... Dell Precision T3400

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gnome, Feb 6, 2008.

1. gnome

gnome

The x38 chipset is really for a gamer's mobo.

But good for traders too... for 4-8 monitors, we don't have go buy x1 or PCI cards... and the x38 chipset is just about the newest, hottest performance thing. Some of the x38 mobos cost $350-$400 alone.

#11     Feb 6, 2008
  2. A few months ago I called Dell's tech support and was informed that the warranty on 1 of my machines no longer covered phone support(no big deal). They tranferred me to an India-based phone tech-support vendor whom I would pay $35 for this support. The thing is, I was actually 100% impressed with the professionalism and hard-working manner that this fellow in India demonstrated. It was 4am in India when this guy was assisting with my problem but you wouldn't know it.

#12     Feb 6, 2008
  3. what that badboy cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

#13     Feb 6, 2008
  4. gnome

gnome

Don't mean to thread jump... but I checked Dell Outlet this AM and found a T3400 with E6550 CPU, and 2G RAM for $719... full 1 year warranty. That's a pretty good price for a high power machine. .... ordered new, it's $1,084, but with 3-year warranty. (You didn't hope to find a rocket for $400, did you?)

#14     Feb 6, 2008
  5. Gold Tech Support (if it's server level) also entitles you to an on-site visit within hours of your trouble call also. This written by one of those guys who might be on the way! The T3400 is a nice machine with a ton of headroom. Great purchase! :)

#15     Feb 6, 2008
  6. i could out together a machine sporting the E6850 or even a new 45nm E 8500 series, with 2 Gigs RAM, better MB etc ie similar or better specs for less $..either of these proc's smoke the 6550

so why do you think this is a "good price for a high power machine" ??

#16     Feb 6, 2008
  7. gnome

gnome

1. Off the cuff and without my verifying anything, my initial response is "you are exaggerating".

2. The T3400 is a fairly high power machine, for a decent price... you SURE you could put it together for "significantly" less, (or is that $25 less?)

People often say, "Oh, you could build it for 1/2 the price and have a better rig in the bargain". Well, I think that's a myth. On many occasions, I've priced out components to see if I could do better.. only to find that I MIGHT save $100. But then I have to get the parts together, assemble it myself, and deal with warranty issues on a part-by-part basis rather than the "whole rig"... no thanks.

And this Precision "T" line is a departure for Dell. In the past, their performance machines were well overpriced.

#17     Feb 6, 2008
  8. quite funny that they included 667mhz ddr2 ram in there to keep prices low knowing that the x38 chipset natively supports ddr3

#18     Feb 6, 2008
  9. gnome

gnome

Well, DDR3 is expensive still. And is it necessary for trading? If you had it, would you see a benefit? Doubt it.

Price a DDR3 machine with an X38 mobo and see how it compares. I haven't done it, but my gut is that the T3400 is in the ball park. (Plus, and in spite of all the "Dell Haters", I've had good luck with them. :D )

#19     Feb 6, 2008
  10. traderjd

traderjd

Noob here, so sorry for being uneducated. I customized a T3400 a couple of days ago. I want to run 4 monitors, so I called Dell support to make sure I customized everything correctly. The Dell rep told me to get a differenct system(1000 more). Now, I am confused. What video card do I need to run 4 monitors.

Thanks in advance

#20     Feb 6, 2008