For you Equity Daytraders.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Bogwaluth, Jul 16, 2006.

1. For all the traders that post here, what is your usual position size in a trade? I'm just curious as to how someone does 1m in a day. (cough Rearden )

Even for you 150k plus guys, what lot size are you throwing around. Are you scaling in or loading up at once? Thanks all.

B

Still trying to wrap my brain around this daytrading thing, what a different beast.

2. Um, I do trade 100 shares a pop. I understand that you must work a large order. It was a mere curiousity how someone who fire around 1m shares a day does it. Since I am nowhere near that level I was curious.

While I may ask question about trading large size I still do my own thing and stick with it. I haven't done anything crazy I research, test, plan, study all with 100 shares at a time. Doesn't mean I can't be curious as to the inner workings of 1million shares.

I'll scale up when I can make $50/day trading 100 shares/trade.

Thanks for simply stating nothing at all.

3. Hmmmm where did the post go. LOL! I responded to someone :)

4. My usual piker position size is 800-1500 shares. Sometimes I get into 2000 but its not common. I am trying to work at sizing up in those few trades where I am most confident.

5. I used to trade with a guy who consistently did over 1mm shares a day. He traded QQQ (now QQQQ) and SPY, and would usually build into a core position of around 100K shares in the Qs and 25k in the SPYs, which he would then trade around.

6. Casey30

Casey30

I trade approximately 300k-400k per day. My usual position size is 500 to 1k shares. I max out at around 6k if the stock is highly liquid, which doesn't happen very often. I trade often and carry up to 20+ positions at once. I pull opportunities from any source I can whether it be fundamental or technical in nature. If the trade looks good, I take without hesistation, I will buy or sell within a second of verification that a stock meets my parameters. I project that in 6 months I will be trading 600k+ per day as I broaden my skills.

7. Why would the number of shares have anything to say to anyone else but your broker or propshop-owner? It's the bottomline that counts. If you make a good living with high volume; great - if you do it with low volume then that's also great. There's also a huge difference between trading a 5 dollar stock and GOOG.

Just to contribute to the thread: I trade Norwegian equities, not US, but my dollar value per day is between 3 and 13 million USD. The number of shares would depend on what stocks are moving that day. Some of my favourite stocks are "midcap" pennystocks, and here in June I did 8.5m shares in Pan-Fish (PAN) and 4m shares in Altinex (ALX) in one day.

8. I do over a million shares a day, but mostly from trading ford with a 20k default, but on the other stocks I trade, I start off with 1k never anything less and then build on that position to hopefully around 10k and then getting out in 1k also. It adds up quick.

9. I do about 10k-20k per day in about 3-7 equity trades a day. I usually scale at 200-400 shares per entry. Sometimes I'll have a 3k position built up, sometimes I'll hold 400 shares for 3 days. My holding time depends on my analysis (I'll trade of 30 minute bars as well as 5 min bars), the size depends on the price of the stock ~ for example, you won't see me holding 3k shares of CME, more like 300-500. I will hold 3k of the Q's or INTC. My position size is price volatility based in that respect.

I don't really trade much volume which keeps my transaction costs low, but then again when I enter a position I usually anticipate holding for a greater part of the day (I trade direction more often than not), I find that goal also keeps me from taking poor quality trades.

10. rjv27

rjv27

my usual size in 1000, but if I like the trade and depending on the stock I'll try to get 3000 shs. I usually don't size in, I'll try to get as much as I can in the beginning of the move.

#10     Jul 16, 2006