For Windows XP Users - April 8th, 2014 - End of Support

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by gwb-trading, Dec 3, 2013.

1. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

A taste of the horrible things to come for Windows XP
    http://news.yahoo.com/taste-horrible-things-come-windows-xp-195030672.html

Windows XP is now more than 12 years old but according to data from Net Applications, it is still used on more than 31% of desktop and laptop computers around the world. Those tens of millions of PC users could be in for a very rude awakening next year once Microsoft cuts off support for the aged operating system. Microsoft itself even warned users of the imminent tsunami of viruses and other malware that will inevitably wash over XP stragglers once it stops issuing updates and fixes for the OS.

(more at above url)

2. Bob111

Bob111

Sorry MSFT, but I'm not buying it. What's wrong with 3rd party antivirus/firewall and browsing with a common sense ?

3. Pekelo

Pekelo

I bet they are going to extend it. 31% is just to big of a chunk for a nice class action suit....

4. Likely correct. Some people are still using Windows 2000.

XP for a trading machine should be OK for at least a few years... if it's dedicated for trading, connected only to servers used in trading... and not used to surf the net or adding other programs. If one is worried about getting corrupted or compromised, perhaps should get a 2nd computer with W7/8 for general computing and keep it up to date with AV and patches.

5. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

I certainly hope they extend it. IMO the primary driver would be the significant number of large businesses that are still using Windows XP. I currently am doing IT work at a large bank and they have Windows XP deployed across the entire employee population of over 40,000. There is no way they are switching to Windows 7 before April of 2014.

6. XP users can still get "paid support" after the April cut-off, but it's expensive.

7. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

The only good news in a bank is that the computers are completely locked down. The employees do not have administrator privileges and they can only view internal websites (no outside web access). Combined with IPS monitors and other corporate security measures - things will still be very safe. A more vexing issue will be updates to application programs that no longer support running on Windows XP but require Windows 7.

8. I agree, just Microsoft thinking of ways to force "upgrades".

9. Odumbo got the idea for Obamacare from Microsoft's business model??

10. Bob111

Bob111

They are trying to sell you new OS and article is about another BS 'boogeyman'..oh..you will be exposed! 'they' going to get you sooner or later! there is will be no support! just buy win8!
    i have 2 PC's ,that are running clean and fast with XP SP3. after i've installed SP3- and disabled any automatic updates and its' been like this for years. btw-i'v been using windows OS for 20+ years and never used their support.

#10     Dec 4, 2013