For those that want an Aeron chair

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nitro, Jun 27, 2005.

1. I have a "real" Aeron and it has a problem. Does anybody know the solution?

The center post pokes down below the 5-legs and swivels, and is only 5 millimeters above the floor. On some surfaces such as Berber carpeting, the center post touches the floor. When you move the chair, the centerpost drags on the floor and the little spring-clip pops off.

I've looked for an adjustment but havent found one. I've read the manual but this isn't mentioned. I've visited the manufacturer's (Herman Miller) website. I've searched Usenet via Google Groups. Haven't found anything. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks!

#21     Jun 27, 2005
  2. I've got a chair mat. $29 at Staples. The problem continues -- because the mat is a little flexible, the wheels deflect the mat down where they land. The center post doesn't deflect the mat down and it touches & drags.

2nd problem, when you roll the chair off the mat and back on, even when nobody's sitting in the chair, the small height of the mat above the carpet is enough to collide with the center post and pop off the spring clip.

#22     Jun 27, 2005
  3. Tradefox

Tradefox

Who else like to lean back with their feet up will trading?

These Herman Millers hurt my back when I do this.

I need cushioning anyone else find that Aerons hurt your back when leaning back?

#23     Jun 27, 2005
  4. TGregg

TGregg

I've got a mat on carpeting, but mine doesn't do that. When nobody is in it, I can just fit my index finger under it and above the mat.

It's hard to tell, but it looks like it stays the same height when I sit in it.

EDIT: IIRC I ordered carpet rollers on mine. I bet you have regular floor rollers - yours is for hard floors.

#24     Jun 27, 2005
  5. TGregg

TGregg

Standard Casters: Standard casters work well on most standard office carpets. If you plan to use this chair EXCLUSIVELY on carpets with a tight weave, standard casters are the best choice.

Hardwood Casters: The special hardwood casters are covered in rubber. They won't move too fast on hard surfaces, and they will protect hard floor surfaces from damage (perfect for tile and cement as well as wood). If you plan to use the chair on a hard floor AND a carpet, we recommend you purchase these softer, rubber-coated casters as they will work well on both surfaces.

Deep Carpet (BX) Casters: Perfect for deep pile carpets. Will work well on short pile carpets as well.

#25     Jun 27, 2005
  6. Don't you hate it when that happens. I fight with that damn mat all of the time. Friggin' thing kicks my ass. :D

#26     Jun 27, 2005
  7. reg

reg

You might want to consider getting one of these.

http://www.lizell.com/spiegel/dept_prod.asp?dept_id=46,1,1&mscssid=cc727fe89fd996be51efdcc2cdf699a3

#27     Jun 27, 2005
  8. TGregg

TGregg

Man, that looks way better than these #@*&& plastic ones I have. I hate these things. My chair always puts imprints in them, and rolls back to that position, rather than a new spot I picked, they slide around after a while, and I have to reposition them. Sometimes I smack my foot into a raised edge.

They're a creation of Satan, I swear.

#28     Jun 27, 2005
  9. Don't like it much. Nothing special.

#29     Jun 27, 2005
  10. reg

reg

They're a bit pricey but truly worth it, IMHO. Less stress on my legs and back when I'm moving my chair while sitting on it and they look a lot better than those plastic crap that they sell at the store. :)

#30     Jun 27, 2005