For those that think FB is a good buy

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by peilthetraveler, Aug 7, 2012.

1. "The CEO" that is Netflix ceo, not facebook !!

And they did make money -do you think they are still unprofitable? Good thing this question isn't on a series exam.

#31     Aug 9, 2012
  2. hft_boy

hft_boy

Hello?? http://www.youbrandinc.com/social-media/how-to-create-a-store-on-facebook/

"Currently to set up a storefront the cost is zero, yes free. As of now they don’t charge anything or take any cut of your sales. In reading the FAQ on their website it seems they are more concerned with making great technology and getting feedback to do that."

#32     Aug 9, 2012
  3. Some people are gonna believe whatever they want. Last I checked the defnition of profitable is not cumulative sum of net income since inception minus gross debt outstanding. Not gonna waste any more time on you.

#33     Aug 9, 2012
  4. I am tempted as well. The problem is they could be a Yahoo. And you'll never be able to get rid of Zuckerberg. Of course, those are long term issues, which we don't really care about.

And shouldn't a company have to demonstrate that it can make money BEFORE it goes public? Or at least have some vague idea about how it can make money?

#34     Aug 9, 2012
  5. Earnings in these co's should +correlate to the slope of subscriber growth, and I think that's the problem that most have with FB, that it can't generate growth in new users and it's reached saturation. Akin to SBUX with 20 outlets within 20sq blocks in Manhattan. I don't think the IPO debacle is hurting the company, it's simply the lack of revenue growth, not the raw multiple. If they find it the shares are a double. Zuckerberg is sharp, but treats the company like a hobby and is horrified of alienating the user base, but does just that with the byzantine privacy options.

Google has the edge do to ubiquity and hierarchical structure. The only search worth using; email with chat, cloud apps, smartphone OS, maps, etc. The search was the gateway to more targeted apps and advertising. Somehow we're not offended by google's ads because the apps are not driven by an overtly "social" app and they are USEFUL, not inherently social.

The algo FB uses to target the ads is terrible. I can't remotely understand the logic of what is placed on the sidebar. I am married and it's 100% dating ads. You're telling me it can't take my age and relationship status and infer that I am not actively dating? (ok to put strip clubs there, however). One of my kids has a FB page and all the ads are for match.com and similar. He's 11yo and his profile is accurate.

Most FB users are rabid and spend hours on the site. You would think that their would be massive interest in masthead-type ads and not click-throughs. Somehow they have to monetize the "like" and permutations thereof.

To rant. wtf does it take (up to) 6 hours for a friend's FB update to hit my mailbox? You're fcuking serious? It would be an annoyance in real-time but an insult to receive it hours later.

#35     Aug 9, 2012
  6. Hey, 50%+ marriges fail ! :D

#36     Aug 9, 2012
  7. Facebook is a zombie energy play. That is all it is.

Zombies wake up from time to time and walk over to other energy plays.

Can you imagine whoring your life and friends for a NASDAQ listed company?

Only in zombieland...

#37     Aug 11, 2012
  8. RAY

RAY

The FB "bet" is not made by looking at current revenue avenues, or continued subscriber growth.

It really comes down to whether-or-not FB can recreate the "internet" totally within FB.

If they can do that, they win.

I do not own FB, or intend to own it (don't use it either). I do remember thinking GOOG was overvalued at $85.00.

#38     Aug 12, 2012
  9. Bottom line its a highly speculative stock.... like many were Google apple and all the ones in the grave..wait till volatility is low buy premium..but it won't really start moving until it starts really showing earnings growth. Its in lala land right now

#39     Aug 12, 2012
  10. started building a big long position today in the 20.2 range.

#40     Aug 16, 2012