For those that make their living

Discussion in 'Options' started by steve0580, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

For sure man. Nobody, and I mean nobody will be able to see your account that way. If you see someone coming, you just shake it up and down real fast and poof, the data is gone. Brilliant!

You probably got the memo, but you your kid was playing with it on the etch a sketch and decided to make an airplane out of it. That's the downside, keep it away from your kid!

#21     Dec 5, 2005
  2. I am still LMAO off of the sight of someone being chased and furiously-shaking the damn EAS.

#22     Dec 5, 2005
  3. sabotage

sabotage

Hey Riskarb,

Do you limit yourself to 'mostly SMALL losses' by simply having a disciplined hacking strategy? What expiration do you trade when you want to place a directional move? And how far out-of-the money are most of the options you trade?

As a market maker I stick to pure arbitrage, so I am very curious to know and learn the art of the smart gamblers out there.

#23     Dec 6, 2005
  4. Guess I'm confused by this one. According to the Altria web site, the div-ex date is 12/23/05. This is after December expiration?

#24     Dec 6, 2005
  5. lkh

lkh

You are right. I missed that. I trade MO often and the dividend is usually the second week of the month. This december it is later so you will not capture the dividend this month. It is just a plain covered call in that case. Sorry.

#25     Dec 6, 2005
  6. Typically looking for gamma-magnitude, which limits me to front months, unless I'm looking to buy vol, which isn't very often. When I do go long vol, I buy VBI futures. Horrible market and illiquid, but large contract size. I'd say the meat of the curvature is in 25-30delta[per contract] positions carrying 10-15 gammas in exposure. [When] I trade long-gamma, it's in vanilla backspreads and OTC exotic barrier-touches.

Long gamma isn't suited for taking small losses; IMO, the trimming of vol-edge from short theta requires a buy and hold mentality, regardless of a ramped-gamma. Most long-gamma traders can't afford to take the small hit and must gamma-trade any position, whether it be a simple call/put or complex strategy.

FWIW, I am primarily an OTC/exotic player. Fixed-short gamma in double and single barriers[exotic synthetic short straddles] and replications[long box-vol exotics]. w.r.t. the short-synth, I am a pure distro-bettor.

#26     Dec 6, 2005
  7. Sabotage -- I think your question was actually directed at Sammy.

#27     Dec 6, 2005
  8. Hi sabotage
    I always trade front month.Nibble some positions just after previous month options expiry.Increase betting size(long side) to catch the month end/first 2 days effect if any.From 5th of the month to 3 rd Friday high risk-high return if my direction bet pays off.Yes! decay will be killing me every day 11AM.If the underlying move 2-3 $ ,I still get not much.But if moves up to $5 ,I would have more than double/tripled my OTM call/put.Yes! If the undelying moves in the opposite direction of my bet,my position value will halve in no time!!Poor me!So getting the direction right is very crucial just to make some profit!
    when I trade options on high priced ETF stocks like BBH,OIH or similar equity
    priced at $100-If the equity is in between strikes say 103 ,I will bet on 110C or95P.If it is at the round no,then Next strike.
    Small losses are say 0.40-0.60 options going to nothing or salvaging 0.10-.15 out of it.ATM & OTM options costing 1.5 to 3 will be stictly monitored for wrong or right direction to break even or losses up to half the price.
    OTM Good winners are $.30/.40/.70 going to ..80/.90/1.2 /1.5 like that .One good winner pays for 3-4 loosers.
    ATM winners (delta up to .5) are usullay profit booked at 40% to 50%.Usually 7-10 positions at any given time.
    SPY/DIA/IWM options (maximum 2 stikes out)
    If Iam bit hazy on options(or got too many losses), day trade SPY or my usual few big board high volume stocks watching 3'/5' chart & scalp 0.30/0.50 on 1-5k trade.
    Sabotage!I am sure as a market maker ,you will be employing much smarter tactics than this yours truly small time gambler!.Do you hedge with options only or with short/long equity also in your Arbitrage game?Market humbles me every day& Iam willing to learn!

#28     Dec 7, 2005
  9. Hi Riskarb

#29     Dec 7, 2005
  10. posted from my journal

DAX double:

Traded the 7d 4900/4750 double barrier[range]. Entire premium paid is lost if either strike is hit. This differs from a conventional double-knockout in which the opposing strike would remain "live" if one were hit. A fixed payout of $150k EUR is paid if neither k/o barrier is reached. Position risk and payment for the position is $50k EUR. I've been using various models to price; finite difference, Laplace transforms, among others.

Dax double barrier[binary k/o range] -- 4900/4750 K/Os
    Premium: $50,000 EUR
    Payout: $150,000 EUR [includes prem paid]
    Expires: Aug 3, 2005
    Negative edge: $9,000 EUR

A short strangle would be the analogous position in the vanilla-options. Obviously there are significant differences. There are no binary conditions with a vanilla straddle, yet risk is unlimited on the call[vanilla].

Defined: Short gamma/vega binary-strangle with a debit haircut. I own a piece of this trans, brother's fund is the holder.

#30     Dec 7, 2005