For those scared of Democrats taking over

Discussion in 'Politics' started by james_bond_3rd, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Meaningless isn't it.

Treasury securities are sharply higher in price under Bush so that must mean Bush is more fiscally responsible than Clinton, eh?

The dollar has just gained 40% against a host of currencies so FX traders must really like what's happening in America these past few weeks, right?

Comparing market "performance" is asinine. What's hilarious is in the U.K. everyone talks the same smack as here and our ruling parties are reversed. So while the Tories are looked upon as the new saviors in the U.K. Obama is considered change for the good here. Two countries grasping at political straws for systemic solutions to irreverable fiscal problems. Never thought we'd live to see the U.S. as going hard left while Canada, U.K., France and Germany are all rapidly moving right of center.

#11     Oct 19, 2008
  2. the message the rest of the world should be prepared to confront is - you get invaded, dont call 1-800-UncleSam.

no one will answer

Russia will reconstruct its old empire.

an opinion of course

#12     Oct 19, 2008
  3. No, and I'm not even slightly curious as to how you would reach such a twisted conclusion.

Again, you have exercised your logical fallacy gland. In order to create a syllogism you need to have items in a list that follow logically.

Is it? A decent argument can be made that by cutting taxes and doubling the nation's debt in such a short period of the time, the Republicans devalued the currency, which raised oil prices, which caused a recession.

Which policies in Canada do you feel are right of center? The fact that after twelve years of paying down the debt under the "liberal" party they (under the 'conservative' party) are now facing a deficit?

#13     Oct 19, 2008
  4. wjk

wjk

And after a terrorist attack the market entered a sustained rally to all time highs in late 2007. It began selling off 10 months or so after the dems regained control of the house and senate. So who takes the credit for the rally from 2002 to 2007? Or does congress get immunity from blame or credit? The republicans had the congress 6 of the 8 years under Clinton.

#14     Oct 19, 2008
  5. Many people like to bash Carter. What I truly despise about republicans is that given the absolutely catastrophic nature of Bush administration as far as the country is concerned there are no threads about individuals proclaiming how stupid they were for voting for Bush. They foolishly believe that no matter how bad republicans are democrats are always worse (that is Rush Limbaugh line of thinking)

#15     Oct 19, 2008
  6. The Republicans, with endless, nonstop interest rate cuts to artificially prop up a dead market.

Essentially you're right that congress is to blame. The Republicans abandoned their role as an equal branch of the government to the president, and voted in lockstep for anything and everything that the President endorsed.

This crippled congress as an equal check and balance of government, and crippled the model that the founding fathers developed.

#16     Oct 19, 2008
  7. wjk

wjk

I truly despise the media. I don't blame politicians for who they are, or voters for how they vote. The modern media is a huge factor in who we elect as our leaders. What they tell us, or fail to tell us is often a factor in the leaders we get, left or right, good or bad.

#17     Oct 19, 2008
  8. wjk

wjk

I don't disagree. They were roundly punished for abandoning their principles. Even republicans voted against their own party in 2006, thus the power shift.

Let's not forget the rate cuts of Greenspan. Perhaps the beginning of the current housing crisis?

#18     Oct 20, 2008
  9. Well some did vote against their own party in 2006, but not many.

The credit, I believe, for rounding up and keeping everyone "on track" should be given to Roger Ailes and Karl Rove. It damaged the country and the damage is still ongoing.

Possibly, or even probably contributed, although Greenspan did raise rates, it was too little too late.

Of course, by then no matter what the Fed did they would lose. If they lowered rates the dollar would drop more and thus oil would rise, and if they raised them the risk of inflation kicked in.

It's the economic version of Iraq.

#19     Oct 20, 2008
  10. Yes and I see today a host of newspapers was reported "endorsing Obama". Since when did newspapers
    develop the need to "endorse" anyone? Aren't they supposed
    to report the news...................save us all !

Oh yeah, I talked to two soldiers today who overwhemingly
    support Bush ! They say the war effort is working....the U.S.
    is building long term alliances. You know how ...... when a U.S.
    soldier hands an Iraqi child a pack of gum and takes the time to visit...that's diplomacy to the next generation. Then he walks around the corner and blows 3 thugs away (foreign thugs..ie insurgents) That kid will remember that the U.S. gave them their playgrounds back and tried to help. It's not cheap. We probably should be paid in oil ( I know that's not politically correct, but who cares), but at any rate, we're going to build some peaceful alliances in the next generation. Not in 2 years, not in 5, probably not even in 10....but in 20 or 30 years this whole thing could show very productive fruit if handled correctly (i.e. Don't use big bombs as 90% of the people are innocent)

THE MEDIA IS OUT OF CONTROL IN THIS COUNTRY !!!!

Don't let them turn OUR next generation into a bunch of p*ssies!

WE LOST 2973 PEOPLE ON OUR OWN TURF SEPT 11 2001 AND NOW THE MEDIA ACTS LIKE IT'S A CRIME WE'VE STRUCK & STAYED TOUGH IN THE MIDDLE EAST !!!!

HAS THE PUBLIC FORGOTTEN ? IT SEEMS THEY'VE TRULY BEEN
    BRAINWASHED INTO FORGETTING 9/11 !

I'M VOTING FOR THE EX-POW AND THE ONE THAT HAS BUCKED HIS
    OWN PARTY AT TIMES. THAT SAYS A HECK OF A LOT IN MY BOOK.

GM

#20     Oct 20, 2008