For those people that left IB - where did you go next?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by rida07, Nov 24, 2008.

1. rida07

rida07

To all of you who say IB is the best - I can only say that it seems pretty good but the prospect of having phantom trades show up on my account and then having to devote time and energy to solve that problem is just so daunting that I would like an alternative.

Seems like TradeStation is probably a safe choice to fund an account with 100k+. Only I think they have a platform fee. RCG Onyx looks interesting but don't see it mentioned a lot around here.

Can't find Mirus on the CFTC website, and Velocity had a paltry 500k of excess capital so will not be going near them.

Thanks for all the replies. Please keep them coming.

#11     Nov 24, 2008
  2. I grew out of APIs and now trade a simple platform on a laptop. Complex trading is not sustainable. I trade with PFG.

#12     Nov 24, 2008
  3. cstfx

cstfx

Mirus is not an FCM. That's why they are not listed. They are an ib for Dorman and RCG.

#13     Nov 24, 2008
  4. LOL! What an absolutely ludicrous statement (the quote is in reference to Tradestation). I guess if free is all you can afford, then you would be predisposed to post such drivel...

#14     Nov 24, 2008
  5. Infinity Futures
    TransAct Futures

#15     Nov 24, 2008
  6. After 8-10 years with IB, I've never had a so-called "phantom trade". In fact, I've had remarkable few difficulties over the years.

Yet, we have guys who come on here with every conceivable problem. Makes you wonder why there is such a difference in results from one trader to the next doesn't it?

I don't think anyone compares with IB. Of course, I was looking for safety of my funds in the beginning. That's my #1 requirement.

But, I like the platform. The commissions are satisfactory. I can trade stocks and futures. I think IB is the best broker I have dealt with...and I have dealt with a bunch of them.

OldTrader

#16     Nov 24, 2008
  7. wjk

wjk

Started career with TD in 2002, went to Scott, then Tradestation and IB in tandem. Used E signal for awhile with IB in place of TS.

Dropped IB and used TS then added IB back in. TS has a messed up approach to day trade rules if your account is under 25k. Forget scaling in and out. 3 entries and 1 exit the size of your first entry is counted as 3 day trades! You will not be allowed 4 scale ins in 1 stock in one day, even with no exits. Each entry in a stock in the same day is treated as if it will be a day trade. That's fucked up.

Having said that, there charting suits my needs for futures, equities, internals, and other data fine. Have also tried Esignal and Quotetracker. E signal does not do multiple pages, and quotetracker with IB as data feed doesn't give me add and vold, thus settled on TS + IB.

I have had no significant issues with IB in years (using older version). I like TS charts, and by keeping a small account for swings, the fee of 100 bucks isn't bad (I think 250 without an account). Free over 5k shares a month. Nothing wrong with spreading out over a couple accounts, either. Perhaps OP might consider keeping IB and purchasing a seperate charting system, funds permitting.

#17     Nov 24, 2008
  8. E R

E R

Hello,

I was with IB for about 5 years. Finally decided to leave after having my first, and last interaction with their customer service. Found there were better options out there.

The majority of my trades are in futures and futures options, and I trade with MF Global directly--mfglobalfutures.com (no introducing broker). The commission rates beat IB, and their customer service is phenomenal.

Also, I have a securities account for trading options with a different broker (security is best had by diversifying--even IB wasn't perfectly secure). The broker is eoption.com (part of regal securities).

Let me know if you have any questions.

E

#18     Nov 29, 2008
  9. rida07

rida07

thanks for this - do you use the x-trader platform? what is their commissions for a round-trip on ES-mini contract?

#19     Nov 29, 2008
  10. E R

E R

Hi,

No, I don't use the X trader platform (but they do offer it).

The rates are negotiable. I managed to get a rate that beat IB for most markets, but I'm sure it varies (regardless, one doesn't have to have a huge account or do a lot of round turns to get a very competitive rate).

Feel free to PM me if you want more detailed info or a direct contact there (I'm not sure if it's proper to post negotiated rates).

E

#20     Nov 29, 2008