For those of you who trading at home is your career

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by newwurldmn, Apr 15, 2011.

1. lindq

lindq

Doing anything on your own, at home, can be isolating.

Professionally, as a trader, you are pretty much cut off because even discussions with other traders are problematic if they aren't on your same wave-length.

And developing new personal relationships can be tough when the inevitable question comes up "So, what do you do?" Don't expect anyone to understand or appreciate what you've chosen to do for a living.

And if you are having problems in your trading, and it is impacting your sense of self worth (we all go through those periods), then your sense of isolation will increase.

I've never been a social person. But even so, I've often felt very isolated as a private trader.

Yes, it has its benefits. But in the area of relationships and enhanced sociability it definitely has it's drawbacks.

#11     Apr 15, 2011
  2. Midas

Midas

The trick is to have an active afterwork life. If you do not have a family find activities outside the house to go do with people after work otherwise you will get cabin fever and your social skills will deteriorate.

Good luck

#12     Apr 15, 2011
  3. I think this web site is rigged with fake questions to keep members engaged. The discussion everyone likes are the trader who has given up... calling it quits. Thats always good for plenty of discussion.

#13     Apr 15, 2011
  4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

You might be right Rickshaw Man. I only found the website a few days ago. The blowing up posts are fun to read for me as well.

But my question is actually serious as I am kinda going through a career-life crisis and thinking about what I want to do next. PA trading isn't the only thing on my list, but it is the easiest.

I am trading my own account for now and it's been fun. But I haven't committed fully to it... that is buy the data I need, etc (which is quite expensive and requires term contracts).

I am contemplating this lifestyle before I fully commit financially.

#14     Apr 15, 2011
  5. I thought the same thing. When it comes to my livelihood I have never even considered if I would be lonely or need fellowship and brotherhood. It's trading and business man, not social hour.

#15     Apr 15, 2011
  6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I thank everyone who has responded. I have found it helpful.

It's not about social hour, but there are many facets to a rewarding career/profession. Humans are social animals; and most professions offer social interaction.

And PA trading is not a career most people embark on. Even people who have the means to do so without consequence.

I think it is fair to get the opinions of others who have chosen this path. I have gotten the opinions of many who haven't already.

#16     Apr 15, 2011
  7. I quitted my full-time job a few years ago and now trade for a living.

I have accepted that trading is a lone-wolf profession. You can exchange ideas and learn from others from time to time. Or daily if you join some chatrooms or the likes. But when it comes to fighting the battles, you are on your own. You seek, you hunt, you kill. Or be killed. It is better to be alone. Not influenced by anyone. You survive, or you starve.

If you think of renting a trading desk somewhere just to get some social interactions, I would suggest that you don't. You would only be gathering with others under the same roof just to be ignored. Unless you work for a firm, trading that firm's capital, following that firm's objectives and guidelines. If you are trading on your own, it's better to be alone.

If I want my job to be having someone to talk to all the time, I should have been a salesman. Or a customer service rep. Been there. Done that. Click. Hung up. A different life is calling now.

Outside of your trading sphere, in time and space, you can have all sorts of social circles. Just like any other professions.

#17     Apr 16, 2011
  8. well said, I like that.

#18     Apr 24, 2011
  9. What should I do with 50 million USD.

A friend of mine owned a small bank overseas, and asked me whether I can manage that much to give decent amount of profit (10% or more per month)

You have experience working in a bank, perhaps you could give me some advice here.

#19     Apr 24, 2011
  10. You should look into joining a trading chat room. You can share ideas and interact with the traders in the room. Gives you the feeling like your not alone and might help find trading ideas.

#20     Apr 24, 2011