For the true quants

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by aPismoClam, Jun 12, 2006.

1. and the rest won't care. :eek:

#11     Jun 13, 2006
  2. Maybe he is a successful systems trader looking for something else to fill with the gap time between the open and close ... in that case I would recommend him to learn knitting instead ... it might become more useful later on in life as one gets older. LOL

#12     Jun 13, 2006
  3. taowave

taowave

Well said,

a simple guiding hand should not be so hard to offer those who ask for it......

save the sermons for sunday school

#13     Jun 13, 2006
  4. Few Mathematics PhD's actually train on "solv[ing] numerical problems programmatically".
    If this is your purpose rosy, you must mostly be hiring the wrong guys. You yourself obviously never "solve[d] numerical problems programmatically."

Further, look back at some recent ET threads on "quants". Nobody seemed to have a clear idea about what they are or what they are doing. When I read about organizations firing research departments wholesale, I can't help but thinking that they must have been overloaded with them useless "quants". :)

#14     Jun 13, 2006
  5. "PhD in Math intensive field" as per rosy's statement - if you bothered to read his statement that is - does not limit one to a PhD in mathematics. Many quants have Physics/Engineering PhDs.

#15     Jun 13, 2006
  6. hey aPismoClam,

a few points.

1. don't listen to most comments on this board, most of them don't know what the CQF is about.. and for some reason, some of them also think it's a fancy lolly to wave for an interview, and you have no content. the truth is most of them won't even be accepted on the program.

if you actually have the mathematically background to get on it, i definately recommended. and no you don't necessarily need a PhD or be Mozart at 16. if you can consume the depth of the material on the course, you will learn alot. many people take the course - not just for their CV. you actually learn something you can use in your study/job - if you're dealing with financial product matters.

how helpful is it on for your CV? well that depends where you're applying to for what role, but it takes more than just that to get an interview and the job. a little luck too, it it certainly aint waste of time.

what's most important is you actually learn something, and the CQF is good all round course concentrating full on all the necessary topics u generally need. on the side, if you can learn c++ even better. u do need to 'automate' ur knowldge/skills and programming is very productive.

the point really comes down to what you want to do with it. if it's just for your CV, i'm not too sure how much it will help you - it can shine- but other factors are also important - e.g. you're qualifications, job experiences etc.

but if you want to expand you're quantiative knowledge in finance, if you can afford it and have the time to take it all in, i don't know anything else that compares to it. CASS does a MSc in QF that looks nice - includes c++.

hope that helps.

#16     Jun 13, 2006
  7. excellent post batman, thanks for the feedback.

#17     Jun 13, 2006