For the true quants

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by aPismoClam, Jun 12, 2006.

1. I'm thinking of taking the Certificate in Quantitative Finance offered by Wilmott.

Any thoughts?

2. rosy

rosy

depends on your current qualifications. do you have a grad degree? ideally phd in a math intensive field from a name school. can you solve numerical problems programmatically? ideally c++. how old are you?

without the above, I would pass on your resume.

3. Totally agree.

Music genius is always in full bloom by late teens...
    Athletic genius as well...
    And math genius is not any different.
    And all of the above have a history of being non-conformists.

Truly talented quants have a math/computer/game/gambling intensive background from teens onward...
    *** It's what they do for fun ***.

Some certificate later in life just shows what a plodder you are.

Same as CFA... teaches you nothing about making money trading.
    Just shows you are angling for a good job/nice career as cog in Wall Street machine...
    And are willing to be (unwittingly) brainwashed.

Only 5% of the people here will understand what I'm talking about.

4. newguy1

newguy1

do you have any idea what kind of caliber student arrives at a fin math program, let alone that willmot certificate? If so, what is the point about this genius concept?

hardly any of them would be considered genius, in any respect.
    its not clear to me how your post is in anyway helping the op.
    I'm pretty sure the op realizes that such programs aren't designed to help traders make money.

It all depends on what he wants to do with the certificate. He might be using it as a stepping stone into a msc. He might be a wildly succesful trader that just wants to see what the et community thinks about quant.

I've given some thought to entering the random msc's in the future. because you are already considering the certificate, i have some other suggestions.

To the OP: have you considered the oxford program? Its unique in design, meaning its not your typical msc program. There is also a program in singapore that may fit a distance learning objective similar to the wilmott certificate.

lastly, take your real question to wilmott, and layout all your detail there. your entire background, ect. You could also pm DCFC over there. he gives professional, well-mannered advice as a headhunter.

Your question would be better served over there instead of getting rude, PRETENTIOUS answers in the form of analogies. There are a handful of jackasses over there as well who would sooner spit on your face then help you out, but they will at least attack you in an objective manner as opposed to putting out something ridiculous like, "99.99 percent fail at xyz in life, so you will to". Rather they might say something like, "you're too old", or "that program isn't respected in the city", and then back it up with some actual reasons/facts, not some fucking analogy/old wives tale/ramblings from their hot shot trader friend.

How about this for change? When somebody asks a question, why don't we just try and help him for a change? Oh, why thats a novel fucking idea.

Good luck man.

5. Hello:

Again you have people posting but the thinking process is lagging behind...

What I suggest (for anyone interested) is that they follow their interests and talents. IF you have an interest, and a talent for math and finance, then follow that road. Do whatever you can to insure that you have the kind of education that allows you the greatest freedom to pursue interesting work.

The idea that people need to be "geniuses" to be involved with quantitative methods is simply wrong. If you like math, and you are good at it, you have ONE qualification for this program. IF you like finance and the many related subjects, then you have another qualification. The rest is all about desire, hard work, persistence, and focus on a goal. Ultimately if you want something like this, you will do whatever is necessary to get there. Take it one step at a time and keep your eye on the ball.

Good luck,
    Steve

6. Speed counts. The certificate's not going to make you any faster.

As far as getting in the door or helping you thru an interview, maybe.

7. newguy1

newguy1

I coudln't agree more with steve. But I would keep in mind (and this has been discussed on occassion at wilmott) is whether or not taking a msc in fin math/math trading/ect, will relate to any success in daytrading.

The overwhelming answer was no. There is also a daytrader on the boards who did both, being successful at daytrading first. He went on to say a msc in quant wasn't going to help daytrading. (ironically, he built his own models and indicators because of his quant education, which he now employs in his daytrading...so you be the judge)

And why am I even pointing this out? Well...this is ET, and presumably we daytrade/trade one way or another.

But i'd say this. You might have an interest/talent in math and finance. But if you know you can't work for the man, that program might not be the best fit. If being employed is something you'd prefer over something independent, then go for it!

8. What is it that you seek from such a course?

9. people forget that "genius fails," left to itself, with embarassing regularity and seemingly progressively larger consequences.

a laser beam can put a nice little etching on your spleen or it can burn holes clean through you.

10. :D

It's all about making a contribution to the field, using whatever venue is appropriate.

#10     Jun 13, 2006